Who else is waiting for that first egg?

19 weeks yesterday.  Sigh. Nothing yet. Hoping that we'll see something soon.  Heat may be to blame, but it doesn't take anything off my impatience.

Are they squatting for you? I'm still waiting on 5 of my 8 to start laying, it starts to get frustrating. But when you see that first egg it's all worth it!

Ours were noisy, but no squatting. I was surprised to find that first egg yesterday (19 weeks 4 days), I thought one of the other hens (golden cuckoo) was a little more developed, but the comb on the blue splash hen in question developed very quickly over the last two weeks. Two others (black copper not pictued and golden cuckoo) look ready and the 3 remaining (blue splash, black copper and silver cuckoo) seem quite a bit farther behind.

MIne are 21 weeks and still nothing
sad.png

And they are supposed to be a breed that starts laying early.

Does the heat make a difference? It's been hot and humid here.

My oldest (leghorn) just hit 20 weeks...nothing yet...

the rest are all 18-20 weeks...

nesting boxes set up...golf balls sitting in each one...looking around the yard for secret spots...

Should I put out oyster shell now or wait until the first egg actually shows up?

Noisy, and a little squatting. Nothing consistent. So I talk to them, and they talk back. And they try to chase the dog. (Sneak up behind her, but then run away when she wags her tail.) I think I'm trying too hard. Just trying to relax and let them do their thing.

Are they squatting for you? I'm still waiting on 5 of my 8 to start laying, it starts to get frustrating. But when you see that first egg it's all worth it!

What do you mean squatting? I have never heard of this. We are 18 weeks and waiting for our first egg. They like to sit in the nest boxes during the mornings!

Back
Top Bottom