Who else is waiting for that first egg?

You'll notice your pullets hunkering down if you pass your hand over them or start to pet them. It's a signal of submission to a rooster. It shows they are maturing & getting ready to lay. You'll know it when u see it.

Oh my gosh so many first eggs since I've been here!!!!! 7 days now of consistent laying from Rose! I'm a hoarder I don't want to crack any of them!!!

Well my non laying br just punked me! I was outside with them trying to install some lights in the coop and she went into one of the nesting boxes I put some store bought eggs in to show the soon to be layer where it's done so I waited as not to disturb her. She came out after some time clucking her head off. I ran to see so excited I got to be present for it and she just dug in the nesting material and moved the egg there.... I told her she was a faker and she clucked her head off again! Goofy birds! Maybe sometime today!

Our 2 Black Jersey Giants and 1 Black Australorp are now 22 weeks old and still no eggs from them. The other 5 are laying consistently. Combs & waddles are red and one (I think, they all look the same) is doing the egg song.

MIne are 21 weeks and still nothing
sad.png

And they are supposed to be a breed that starts laying early.

Does the heat make a difference? It's been hot and humid here.
Hi neighbor. I think it does. I'm near Riverside. Right? HOT sticky weather last week and again today? 2 of mine, BO's started at 22.5 wks last Fri. Only 5 eggs so far from 2 hens. They quit in the heat. My Orpingtons are the first to show discomfort. I knew they weren't a heat tolerant breed... What breed are yours?

Back
Top Bottom