Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Mine run away. And they don't flatten out for the roosters. The roosters jump on them and flatten them.
yuckyuck.gif

::::Sigh:::::then maybe that's the problem. They have red combs, red cheeks, and a couple of them have been making noises that sound like they might have an egg, but nothing.
sad.png

Yes, I am in the Temecula area....it sounds like you might be a little further north, and a couple of degrees hotter.

Mine were supposed to be Buff Orpingtons, but turned out to be Red Sexlinks instead. I do have one Buff that I bought locally to replace a chick that was killed by a predator.

They are all panting, even though their coop is shaded. The Red Sexlinks are supposed to be more heat tolerant, but the Buff actually seems to be more active.

It's supposed to cool off a little tomorrow, for about a week. I hope that helps.
hmm.png

Hi neighbor. I think it does. I'm near Riverside. Right? HOT sticky weather last week and again today? 2 of mine, BO's started at 22.5 wks last Fri. Only 5 eggs so far from 2 hens. They quit in the heat. My Orpingtons are the first to show discomfort. I knew they weren't a heat tolerant breed... What breed are yours?

Celebrating here in the Preston household!! Two of our eight pullets are now laying, and today, we found our first green egg! The darker beige one is from another of our youngun's. The Easter Egger's name is Buffalo. My grown son named her, but I call her Buffy for short!

Way to go, Buffy!!!

After 55 mins of sitting on the store bought egg and pull in wood chips from the coop floor. I was getting tired of waiting so I went inside to get something to snack on. When I came back out she burst out of the coop and ran to me clucking at me. Then she jumped up and stole me cookie... when I went to get the egg she had laid it on the coop floor...little booger!

My oldest (leghorn) just hit 20 weeks...nothing yet...

the rest are all 18-20 weeks...

nesting boxes set up...golf balls sitting in each one...looking around the yard for secret spots...

Should I put out oyster shell now or wait until the first egg actually shows up?
YES if they're not on layer feed already. They need it to make the shell of the egg they haven't laid yet. Checklist done! Now it's a waiting game!

Some people we know got their chickens only a couple weeks before us and got 3 eggs today so we're hoping wothing 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom