Who else is waiting for that first egg?

5 eggs in 3 days from 2 hens, not bad! Now if the rest would get on board it world be great! So far only Penny-my GSL, and l Lil' red-my RIR have figure out what to do... Hopefully they will teach the rest!

Howdy! Sorry, I just saw this post. Freezing jugs works GREAT! It was 109 here yesterday, way over 100 for 2 weeks. I freeze the jugs and lots of little water bottles to put all over the floor of the pen. They sit on them and lay next to them. Just the cool air coming off of them really cools it down. I freeze blocks for them too, and put a small frozen bottle in the waterer. Hope it cools off for ya'll!

They look so cute standing on their blocks of ice.Will have to remember the tip for summer.Thanks! First day of spring for us 1st of next month.

We got our first egg!!!!!!! Yeah! To celebrate the kids and I made it a science investigation. Hypothesis - an organic free range chicken egg will look different from the different store bought eggs (cheap, organic, cage free). It was a bright orange double yolk! The kids were so proud!!!!

We waited until we had enough eggs for a good meal to share!! Only 2/12 hens are laying so far-they have been doing pretty well! Still pretty tiny eggs, except the double yoker!!!-cooked them up tonight, so delicious!!! (Even saved them a little
1f60a.png
)

Last edited:
We got our first egg!!!!!!! Yeah! To celebrate the kids and I made it a science investigation. Hypothesis - an organic free range chicken egg will look different from the different store bought eggs (cheap, organic, cage free). It was a bright orange double yolk! The kids were so proud!!!!
Well Done You! Can just imagine those little faces ! Aww

17-18 wks is good time to give them access to the nest, unless you want to wait until you see eggs on the floor. At that age their wattle and combs should be getting redder and they start squatting when you approach them.

I have hen's that layed eggs @17 -18, I also have some hen's that are almost 20 wks right now and nothing. Last year (my first time with chicken) by 22 wks they were all laying. Sure was exciting, we still jump up and down seeing first time layers, I got 8 pullets am waiting to lay and they are almost 20 wks.

Thanks, Spartan22. My SLW dug a hole in a pile of wood chips in the yard today. At first, I thought she might be wanting to take a dust bath, but the shavings were damp from watering the garden. She settled in like she was on a nest. The other hens cuddled next to her. So I did set up the nest boxes. Wow... Thought it would be a while longer and it might be.

By the time the girls returned to the coop, they ate and were up on their roosts. Didn't appear to notice the nest boxes yet. Will check in the morning! Two of the girls are squatting and combs are red. Sort of harder to tell with a rose comb? of SLW. Again, thanks!!! So much to learn. I appreciate the help.

Your welcome! Am still learning a lot after all, it's only been a year since we have our very own fresh organic eggs.

I'm flying to Chicago right now for few days and worrying about my chicken Ha ha ha! My wife & I were both from city. I kind of the one thrown my wife in to this chicken thing, she loves collecting eggs but not much in cleaning droppings. Enjoy your fresh eggs anticipation everyday!
1f60a.png
1f413.png

Two of my girls have been laying for two weeks and the other three are still not showing any signs of being close. Combs and waddles are red but still very very short and no squatting at all. All hatched the same day and are now 27 weeks old. By the way all are GC

Back
Top Bottom