Who else is waiting for that first egg?

We have 2 hens out of our flock left (yes it's been a bad predator year) and unfortunately I'm in NC where I couldn't purchase anymore. They are both 19 almost 20 weeks, full red combs and no signs of eggs, I decided to place a fake egg in the nest box today to see what happens

I tried using golf balls....hens ending up playing golf...JK....once they lay, remove the fakes because hens aren't too smart sometimes, and may crack an egg against the fake ones.

I tried using golf balls....hens ending up playing golf...JK....once they lay, remove the fakes because hens aren't too smart sometimes, and may crack an egg against the fake ones.

They are actually plastic eggs from one of my toddler toys, I'm not sure if they'll work but I showed it to them and they started pecking at it and then all of a sudden started talking to each other almost like gossip.

So I have gotten quite a few soft shells... and it seems like they come in twos... can they lay 2 eggs at one time? I always check the roost in the morning when I let them out because that's where I usually find them. Well this morning I was in a hurry because I was running late and our farm cat apparently didn't catch his own breakfast because he was hollering to be fed. But I found 2 in the same spot under the roost when I got home from work.

Well, today was humiliating. I was out doing chores, and my head hen looked me in the eye, sang the egg song and promptly jumped out of the nest box and walked out of of the coop. Such an egg tease!

Well, today was humiliating. I was out doing chores, and my head hen looked me in the eye, sang the egg song and promptly jumped out of the nest box and walked out of of the coop. Such an egg tease!

I got a few that do that. I think they like to watch me come a runnin like a fool. Then I tell them they are fakers and the sing some more. Bunch a comedians.

I have 4 Easter eggers that are 19 weeks....waiting for an egg!

I also have 5 older hens but theyve been only laying 2-3 eggs per day. I need to boost production!

Our wait is complete! One of our Welsummer hens left us our first medium brown, dark speckled egg this afternoon.
celebrate.gif
It was also our first half dozen day! 5 eggs from the Buff girls that are now all mature and our first Welsummer egg. The Wellie girls are 24 weeks old and started laying a little over two weeks (I think) after the Buff Orpingtons started laying.

Now we have one more Mature Wellie that needs to start paying rent and the 6 younger hens to just get older and start laying. They are anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks behind the hens that are now laying.

Picture to follow as soon as DH gets it uploaded and on line for me!

Now if the goofy roosters would just start doing something useful to pay rent besides crow and.....well, do what roosters are best at doing!

P.S. Here is the picture of our First Welsummer egg with two little Buff Orpington offerings. I was surprised at how much larger the Wellie egg was than the Buff O's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom