Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Hens can make some pretty weird noises. Our roosters make a sound very much like the one you described. It's almost a trilling RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOO sound that the hens will mimic perfectly. Usually they do it when something has alarmed them, like one of our dogs passing the run/coop area too close for their comfort. So it's sort of a 'heads up'. Alarm for them. I'm wondering if that isn't the sound you are hearing them make.

When our roosters sdtarted crowing you knew it was a crow, just done very badly.

I am devastated . A friend of my mom's came over yesterday and seems to think we have 5 roosters and one hen (I thought for sure we had 5 hens and one rooster). I posted a pic of them several weeks ago on BYC and I was told I was correct. Now I am not sure! Week 22/23 no eggs. If I can get this to work, I will post pics and maybe someone here can help me figure out what I have!

I had people tling me that I had roosters also and only ended up with one. These were people that had chickens for a long time. Those chicks can keep you guessing.

Yeah I was convinced I had a rooster too till I got 8 egg and I have 8 pullets. And that was earlier this week. My girls are like 26 weeks or something like that.

I just see so many people on this three getting eggs between 18 and 20 weeks. Meanwhile, not so much as a hint of interest with mine :(. I estimate my RIRs are 22 weeks and the leghorns 23. Then the comment about them being roosters. And I can't get this app to post pictures from my phone. It is all driving me nuts!

I have a few that didn't start until 24 weeks. Roosters at that age would be obvious. Males have long, thin, pointed feathers on their back, near the base of the tail and "Fabio" style feathers around their necks. A 23 week old cockerel will look very different from a pullet of the same age.

Back
Top Bottom