Who else is waiting for that first egg?

It will happen , while waiting enjoy their company. I love my girls we have long talks while feeding them treats , the best time of the day after a long day at the office. None of my five girls is laying, but that doesn't bother me at all, eventually they will :0))

you're so right, I am retired so I sit with mine twice a day. I really love the evening one, while they eat their treats, talk to them... Tonight I thought they were done because they left me, so I put everything up and walked to the front door, I turned around and they were all following me. I heard cyotes last night, well early this am... I'm hoping they get killed when all the hunters come up....

After getting our first one yesterday, we had another today. I assume it is one of my RIRs. Don't they lay little brown eggs? I thought I read yellow leghorns lay white eggs, and My other ones are leghorns. The egg layer, so far,isn't using the nesting box. Nor are any of them sitting on or hanging around the eggs we found .I hope the others start laying soon, too!

After getting our first one yesterday, we had another today. I assume it is one of my RIRs. Don't they lay little brown eggs? I thought I read yellow leghorns lay white eggs, and My other ones are leghorns. The egg layer, so far,isn't using the nesting box. Nor are any of them sitting on or hanging around the eggs we found .I hope the others start laying soon, too!

I'm pretty sure RIR'S lay brown eggs, but I'm not too sure about the yellow leghorns... So the RIR'S laid before the leghorns?

I'm pretty sure RIR'S lay brown eggs, but I'm not too sure about the yellow leghorns... So the RIR'S laid before the leghorns?

That is my assumption. I don't know which hen laid the two eggs. But based on what I am told about egg color, I assume yes! I really thought my big yellow leghorn that has the black feather(I am told it is a cross breed) would be first. Just based on how she was acting, and she is the biggest. I hope more eggs arrive soon. Guess they were all late bloomers!

So how do I get my ladies to lay in their nesting boxes? Since it looks like they will be fond of laying them in the run. I noticed some of the nesting boxes appeared to have the wood shavings all fluffed up by the hens about 2 weeks ago. So I assumed they were getting them ready as nests......though I have only witnessed one ever sitting in one of them. A couple weeks ago. Not since . Maybe they want boxes on the ground instead of up near their roosts?

Try putting a few eggs in a nest box
Or a few golf balls or some fake eggs
And maybe but hay/straw in the nest box and
Shavings in the rest of the coop
Also I you see a hen laying try out
Here into the nest box
Usually hens will go there without help
But everyhen is different
Hope the learn soon

Yellow Leghorns? Not aware of Leghorns that are yellow. Generally, a bird with red earlobes will lay brown eggs and a bird with white earlobes will lay white eggs.

Back
Top Bottom