Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Got my very first egg about an hour ago!!!!!

H O O R A Y ! And that egg is beautiful!!! I'm so excited/eggcited for you!

Nothing going on here. 4 out of 7 squat now but still no egg songs and I haven't caught anyone actually sitting in a nesting box. They weren't even rearranging the straw (which I suspect they do from outside the boxes) once I put up curtains so I took the curtains back down. Oh well - ! They may be defective in the egg laying department but they are cute pets.

Think I'll buy a couple dozen grocery store eggs tomorrow. THAT'll show 'em that I don't really care if they lay or not. Lol!

Finally after 23 weeks of waiting patiently I got our first egg. Only problem is its white and my leghorns are 4 weeks younger then my barred rocks.

Well about a week ago I got 2 barred rocks 1RIR and 1 Americana from a guy. All he said was they are over a year old. Since I got them I've only got 5 brown eggs

Since the hit or miss first couple of weeks from the first sketchy start 3 weeks ago, this last week plus I have pretty well gotten 5 eggs a day with 6 three days ago..then 7 day before yesterday and 8 yesterday. But only 7 today. I'm thinking almost 5 laying fairly regularly (bigger eggs almost every day now, I got a full sized large today! 60 grams) with maybe 5 others starting to lay hit and miss with the little pullet sized eggs.. Gave one doz to my daughter...one doz to a friend...probably ate a dozen and a half and have over a dozen in the fridge still. This is GOOD out of 13 pullets that are now from 23 weeks old (Black Australorps) to 24 weeks old.(Barred Rocks and Cinnamon Queens) . I'm smiling!

Nothing going on here. 4 out of 7 squat now but still no egg songs and I haven't caught anyone actually sitting in a nesting box. They weren't even rearranging the straw (which I suspect they do from outside the boxes) once I put up curtains so I took the curtains back down. Oh well - ! They may be defective in the egg laying department but they are cute pets.

Think I'll buy a couple dozen grocery store eggs tomorrow. THAT'll show 'em that I don't really care if they lay or not. Lol!

yippee!! So happy for you....
1f609.png

I had a bit of a scare tonight... I was in town all afternoon getting my infusion, we got home about 7:30, I went out to close the big door to the run... I opened the hen house door and counted only 13, I recounted, and recounted....only 13, I got a little nervous, I turned the light out and went looking for a pile of feathers, didn't find anything, so I went back in and counted again, 13...just as I turned something moved in the bottom right nest! I picked her out but couldn't get her on the 2x4... so she went under the nesting boxes...lol ugh! I saw that they came looking for me, there were a few poops on the deck.... I just love having them so much.... Rae

The last three or 4 days have been five and six eggs days so theyre improving. Wish I knew better who's laying. I'm thinking they may have a hidden nest somewhere but it could be a paranoid delusion. I do know of one nest they made after pulling a bunch of straw out of the bales but I keep an eye on it. Any advice on how to make them stop thinking of using places other than the nest boxes? I know locking them up for a couple days will help but any other ideas?

Hopefully they will start laying for you! Mine didn't lay in the box she laid on the coop floor but I don't care as long as she laid at this point LOL

Yesterday morning I told them they all were going to be roasted if I don't see some eggs (I said that very firmly too lol) and the hubby said well what if they don't want to then a few hours later I got one :-D. Now hopefully the other 7 will follow

Back
Top Bottom