Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Hi there, my flock consists of one Ameracana, two Buffs and one Rhode Island Red. They're about 18 weeks old and I can't wait to for my first egg.

Almost 40 weeks old and 1 of our Buff Brahmas finally laid her first cute little egg! Now if only her sister (same age) would follow suit.

I have a 22-week old Light Brahma that doesn't look like she will lay in this lifetime. Though, interestingly enough, she avails herself of the free-offered oyster shell at every opportunity it seems. Congrats on your Brahma egg! You would think they could lay a larger egg given their size - but I would be thrilled with a peewee egg. That one looks perfect, too!

I think any of you with early layers are lucky I have nine RIR that will be 25 weeks Wednesday, 3 Barred rock that are 29 weeks, and three slightly older ee buff crosses I bought as pullets close to laying one of which has started with pullet eggs, they are all a bunch of freeloaders. Where are the eggs?

I think any of you with early layers are lucky I have nine RIR that will be 25 weeks Wednesday, 3 Barred rock that are 29 weeks, and three slightly older ee buff crosses I bought as pullets close to laying one of which has started with pullet eggs, they are all a bunch of freeloaders. Where are the eggs?

I was calling mine free-loaders, too! I have 4 22 week old RIRs (production), and this is my first little egg from them. The one I know laid it had started hanging out alone more (they are usually within a few get of each other), and for the first time ever pecked my hand when I moved the food dish this morning. No squatting. No egg song (at least no well arranged one). 2 of mine still have tiny, yellow combs, even, so I think they may still be a while.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom