Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I have a 22-week old Light Brahma that doesn't look like she will lay in this lifetime. Though, interestingly enough, she avails herself of the free-offered oyster shell at every opportunity it seems. Congrats on your Brahma egg! You would think they could lay a larger egg given their size - but I would be thrilled with a peewee egg. That one looks perfect, too!
Oh both of my Brahmas help themselves to the oyster shell but for some reason both just took extra long to mature. I'm hoping their eggs will get bigger but for now I'm happy I got one to start laying if nothing else!

My barred rock is 18 weeks old and I'm on eggwatch daily. Her face/comb/wattle are much redder than her sisters (buff Orpington, easter egger, black Australorp, red star). So hopefully we'll have eggs soon!
1f62e.png

What a beauty! She looks like my Cookie! Her sister, Cupcake, started laying yesterday! FINALLY! Now, if I can get Cookie and my holdout Buff to get with the program, we'd be set! Cupcake had bigger wattles and a bigger comb and both were pretty red, so I figured she was just about there. Rose, my holdout Buff, is now just about 32 weeks and as far as I know....no eggs from her at all. Sigh. However, they do free range all day, but we've looked and don't see eggs where they shouldn't be, however, production has really fallen off. We're about to move them to a new coop, so once they're coop bound for a week or so to get used to things, I'll really be able to see what's happening.

My 1st bunch of RIR hens this year made it to 4 months old before the coons got them. It'll be mid Dec when my Cornish hit 20 wks. Still waiting. Should have been getting eggs for 2 months now. Last year they made it to almost 20 weeks.

23 weeks any no eggs yet from our eldest... the two Barred Rocks and the two NH Reds. Everyone we have talked to says they should be laying by now. Can't understand why they are not. They have plenty of food (layer feed and greens as well as vegetable scraps and such) and water, a nice big pen, a good size coop and nice nesting boxes filled with pine shavings and straw. They are going in the nesting boxes, we know becuase they leave hen shaped depressions in the straw. Oh, and we have 2 ceramic eggs, one in each box to help encourage nesting. We are really hoping they start laying soon. Any thoughts?

23 weeks any no eggs yet from our eldest... the two Barred Rocks and the two NH Reds. Everyone we have talked to says they should be laying by now. Can't understand why they are not. They have plenty of food (layer feed and greens as well as vegetable scraps and such) and water, a nice big pen, a good size coop and nice nesting boxes filled with pine shavings and straw. They are going in the nesting boxes, we know becuase they leave hen shaped depressions in the straw. Oh, and we have 2 ceramic eggs, one in each box to help encourage nesting. We are really hoping they start laying soon. Any thoughts?
well my RIR are twenty four weeks and my Barred rocks are 28 weeks with no layers so don't ask me. I can only wish you better luck

Those are from the three Barred rocks and three Easter eggger/buff crosses tractor. They still need to talk to the RIR , but I will take it I am soo excited

I asked about it at the feed store and was told not to expect any eggs till spring. Something about the shorter days. :(
It may not be true see my post my 28/29 weekers left me three eggs tonight what a way to start. Now I can hope for the nine 24 week old RIR will start. I heard if they start they are not as prone to be slow as older birds their first winter.

Back
Top Bottom