Who else is waiting for that first egg?

It's possible. What breeds do you have? I can tell the difference between my 4 layers right now, one lays a brown speckle, another lays a deeper brown with occasional speckle, another lays a creamy brown color, and the other lays white. It helps that I've been able to observe who's in the nesting bin too though.

They are RIR from cacklehatchery.com

I think I just got my second first egg. 22 hours after my first egg and slight difference in color and shape.

Yesterday's egg is on the left. Today's egg is on the right. What do you think? 22 hours apart.

Theyrebothbeautiful congratulations. I'm still waiting....

9 so far for me today wish I knew who the newer layers are. No egg from my EE in two days which is unusual for her maybe I'll get ten today wow. The eggs need to get bigger fast so we can start selling lol I gotta learn how to make quiche or something that uses a ton of eggs.

Quote: Since they're all the same, without watching it might be pretty hard to tell who's laying what. You might see some subtle differences in the eggs, and through observations be able to pinpoint though. I have a "mixed" flock with different breeds, so most are easy to tell. My cochins it might be more challenging since theirs is suppose to be similar to the buff's egg color, and then my EE might be challenging since I won't know what gene will come through until they start laying (hoping for blue or blue tinting), but so far I've been able to tell who laid what from the 2 golden sex links because their eggs are a little different, one has a lot more speckling than the other and I know that one comes from Brownie, Cupcake's has less speckling and hers has been consistently smaller than Brownie's.

In the pen of 23 pullets we have gone from first egg in the pen on 02 Oct. to 4 yesterday, ranging in size from 34 to 47 grams. For the next couple weeks at least, every day will be a first egg for someone. The Red Sex Link was the first to lay and has already become pretty regular. Pretty sure 2 of the 16 Black Sex Links and one of the 3 Rhode Islands have also started. Nothing yet from the EE or either the SLW or GLW.
They are catching up to the adult pen in quantity which was 5/10 yesterday but certainly not in size as the big girls are ranging from 47 to a 73 gram whopper from one of the 2 BRs.

Last edited:
My BO and Speckled Sussex started squatting today.

So, now I am waiting on the BA (29 weeks), BO (26 weeks), and the Speckled Sussex (25 weeks) to start laying. Can't wait!

My BO and Speckled Sussex started squatting today.

So, now I am waiting on the BA (29 weeks), BO (26 weeks), and the Speckled Sussex (25 weeks) to start laying. Can't wait!
The Australorp and the Orpington could be laying any day. That Speckled Sussex still has a few more weeks of developing to do.

Back
Top Bottom