Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I know the waiting is soooooo hard. Last week mine FINALLY started laying. I have a buff orp and a black sex link. Both started laying within 2 days of each other and both were 22 weeks.

Right now they are all 20 weeks 5days old.

Only 1 of 2 red stars are laying and she has laid 1 small egg daily Mon, Tues, Wed, no egg Thurs, egg on Friday. My 2nd red star hasn't started laying nor have my other breed chickens.
1f615.png

Well that's better when they start laying at 20 weeks rather than 26 -30 weeks...I started keeping mine in today and will keep them in until I start getting eggs.... we'll see what happens now... they sure we're not happy about that....lol Rae

I feel your pain two of my nine RIR hatched April 15 started last week and only one of my three Barred rocks that are three weeks older than that have started. I think the shorter days are not helping the late bloomers.
BTW if anyone figures out how to keep them from pooping in the boxes I want to be able to know to. You'll be famous;)

All of my early/mid April hatched pullets are laying now. I average about 11 plus eggs a day from 13 girls.. Usually 12..sometimes 13...sometimes 11 for a couple of days. But they have a couple extra hours of "light" with a coop and a small light out in the pen too, so they can see to go to the feed bucket and water jugs. The light out in the pen keeps them from squabbling inside the coop before it gets light enough outside to see to get around.

She did it, laid her first egg and in the nest box. 10/25/15 - 28 weeks - 50.6g

Her at 27 weeks
  1. Yay! That was a long wait :) I think my Buff was about that long, but my Red Sexlinks were already laying so it made it easier to wait.

She did it, laid her first egg and in the nest box. 10/25/15 - 28 weeks - 50.6g

Her at 27 weeks
Yay!
big_smile.png
That was a long wait. I think my Buff took almost that long, but since my Red Sexlinks were already laying it made it easier to wait.

It was a long wait. I think all of my chickens are going to be late.
Only two are laying - Australorp started at 29 weeks and Orpington at 28

I am now waiting on:
Australorp - 28 weeks now - squatted yesterday
Dark Brahma - 28 weeks
Speckled Sussex - 27 weeks - squatted a week or two ago
(2) Blue Cochins - 24 weeks
Light Brahma - 23 weeks
BLR Wyandotte - 21 weeks
(3) Easter Eggers - 17 weeks

@daxigait
That is so cool! I think my other buff may also be laying pinkish eggs with white spots although I'm not sure. Found another hidden nest last week with 12 eggs in it. Still not sure who all is laying. Or where. I know I should lock them up to find out and to teach them but its been so nice I haven't the heart. It will be cold and icky soon enough and I won't feel so badly about locking them up. We have been getting a steady 7-8 eggs a day from them so I its not like I'm not getting any. Got one green tinted ee egg the other day that had dark brown speckles think it was a first egg would love more like that.

If I am only getting 8/15 from the big girls then I'm a bit disappointed but I'll give them more time. Still getting one egg almost every day from my bantam barred cochin, in ten days I think she's only missed one or two days(one day she was out free ranging around the time she should have layed and may have layed somewhere I couldn't find it)

Also I swear I think one of my 21-22 week old silkies squated for me today. Ironically its the one everyone thought was a roo BC of comb and wattle development. Guess we'll wait and see.
:) its also my favorite silkie so staying regardless.

Back
Top Bottom