Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Quote: Since mine are going straight into a carton and into the fridge right now I put them in small side up. When/if I decide to try hatching again I'll put air sac side up (big end) and they'll go on the counter.

Ugh! I still have one not laying (at 27 weeks). Everybody else started 22-24. I also lost 1 of my 4 over the weekend to a predator, so production is down anyway. 3 layers keep us in enough eggs for our use and got us to give some to family every couple of weeks. I guess we will add a couple more in the spring.

My very first EVER egg! Seeing as it is November I didn't think any of the young hens would lay until spring. Well, I was wrong! My Golden Comet (sex-link) lay this one the morning of Nov 10 and another one later that day for 2 her first day. Since she has lay one egg/day. She is about 1mo older than my other two who "might" start, a Black Australorp, and an EE hen. The 4th hen isn't even 6mo yet (I don't think, got her from a friend). Very exciting!

I am waiting, and very eager!

My Black Sex Link just started laying, but I am waiting for my Buff Orphington, Americaunas, Production Red, Araucana, and mixes to start!

Nice! Congrats! Now that daylight savings time is over, the production from my girls has slowed WAAAAAAY down. We're getting maybe and egg a day from 8 hens! We have 2 that are over a year and I think they're continuing to lay, but my younger girls aren't doing much. And our recently introduced ladies (16 weeks old) probably won't do anything til sping. Booooo

I've gotten 5 eggs in one day, so I must have at least 5 hens laying... The other hens are really growing waddles and combs red and big!

Potential double yolker from my 24 week old barred rock this morning!
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

Potential double yoker from my 24 week old barred rock this morning!
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

We got our first double yoker yesterday. We have 10 hens and have gotten as many as 7 eggs per day. We have 7 Australorps, 1 Asian Blue and 2 Buff Orphingtons. I know one of the Orphington's comb isn't red enough lay. Not sure if all the Australorps are laying.

Back
Top Bottom