Who has used a Heat Mat for newly hatched chicks?

ducks4you

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
East Central Illinois
I bought one of these last Fall:
http://www.ruralking.com/farm-innov...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CKaq_dG66MsCFQwxaQodC6kCLQ
Still in the box, but I'm tempted to use it for my chicks this year. I don't like the lamps, and I'm afraid that I might start a fire in my barn from one, which is where I have my brooder, which used to be a steel 110 gallon water trough that sprung a leak. (I put 3-4 inches of garden dirt on the bottom, then pine shavings.)
Has ANYBODY else used one of these, and what are your opinions. I'll be starting chicks end of April. Thanks!

Hi. I was going to use one like that I have for starting seedlings. my tortoises are using it right now. mine has a thermostat but it just didn't seem quite right to me.I knew I didn't want the heat lamp so I broke down an purchased a Brinsea Ecoglow radiant | heat 20 chick brooder instead. but many many people have been successful with the heat pads and really really love it.
I think it's a personal choice as to whatever you feel comfortable and confident doing. it's been proven that the heating pad is a wonderful success so I wouldn't worry about that. it's whatever you choose personally. many methods are successful so pick which ever one you have most faith in.

Back
Top Bottom