Who is Hatching for Father's day? 2018

We had at least one hatch today, went to close up the broody coop and saw that one was now out of the nesting box and on the ground next to the other one (she had wanted the ground and not a box), and there was an obviously unzipped shell with 4 eggs left behind in the box. A quick exposure with the flashlight and we could hear some chirping from under the mommies. Hopefully I can get some pics tomorrow.

I had two more hatch last nite after I figured no more would hatch. Went to bed with no pips and wake to two chicks. I still have 8 eggs in inc. I will leave them a couple of more days to see. I wasn't expecting to be down in my back when all this happened. I am going today to get them set up in the big Veggie box I got from the store. It held squash or watermelons. Very sturdy.

At best count I believe we had 8 (possibly 9) hatch. Right now it looks like 4 are black, 2 yellow, and 2 brown. These little guys are so fast to get underneath the hens that it's tough to keep an accurate count.

We have an assortment of hens including Polish, Easter Egger, White Leghorn, Red Star, Rhode Island Red, and iirc Barnvelder, so these are definitely going to be mutts.

Here they are, along with a bunch of unhatched eggs. Those will get removed tomorrow

IMG_20180619_074838115.jpg
IMG_20180619_074855810.jpg

Back
Top Bottom