Who is up for round 2?

Drewnkat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Georgia
After getting a taste of success last time, I now have a full incubator. Well, almost full. I didn't put any eggs directly next to the turner motor, that sucker heats up!

I would have been able to start yesterday, but my egg-eater escalated from eating her own egg to stealing those of her flock mates. She ruined two perfectly good eggs in addition to her own.

She went to freezer camp. So I learned humane chicken butchering methods, and took care of it myself.

With that situation resolved, I collected several healthy looking eggs today. I candled them all before setting this time. Those green eggs! Still nothing to see there, but I may be able to see on some of the paler brown eggs. I have my calendar marked. Starting on April 30th makes it easy to remember. Day 7 = May 7, etc.
yippiechickie.gif

I have just set 42 eggs this evening.

These are 12x silver campine
6x gold campine
12x lavender or splash orpington
12x splash or gold laced cochins

I missed round one, what have you got in incubator?

After getting a taste of success last time, I now have a full incubator. Well, almost full. I didn't put any eggs directly next to the turner motor, that sucker heats up!

I would have been able to start yesterday, but my egg-eater escalated from eating her own egg to stealing those of her flock mates. She ruined two perfectly good eggs in addition to her own.

She went to freezer camp. So I learned humane chicken butchering methods, and took care of it myself.

With that situation resolved, I collected several healthy looking eggs today. I candled them all before setting this time. Those green eggs! Still nothing to see there, but I may be able to see on some of the paler brown eggs. I have my calendar marked. Starting on April 30th makes it easy to remember. Day 7 = May 7, etc.
yippiechickie.gif
lol ADDICT!!! I was planning on waiting until after July 4th to do my next hatch, but I started thinking and by the time I collect the eggs and set them and they hatch, then give them 8 weeks to grow, I'm getting into putting them out in cool weather and NY you never know what September is going to bring for cold, so I am thinking maybe in a couple weeks.....lol

My "Round One" were thirteen Easter Egger/RIR, in other words, good old barnyard mix chickens.

This time, I have a bunch of eggs from my RIR hens, as well as some more Easter Eggs. I just can't resist those little chipmunk striped poofy-faced babies. They're ADORABLE.

My "Round One" were thirteen Easter Egger/RIR, in other words, good old barnyard mix chickens.

This time, I have a bunch of eggs from my RIR hens, as well as some more Easter Eggs. I just can't resist those little chipmunk striped poofy-faced babies. They're ADORABLE.
I ended up with a dozen Spitzhaubens and a couple dozen barnyard mixes. The next hatch we will be incubating our pullet's eggs for the first time. Our 5 girls have been laying for a few weeks. 3 of them are good sized, about what you get in the store. I don't expect the polish or silkie's hens to get extrememly big. I may hold off on incubating my one nn/ee's hers are on the smaller side, but we will see. My dom roo is NN so I am hoping for some cute lil nns and some nn/silkies to possibly start a showgirl line. We'll see how it goes in a couple weeks. I still have the second coop to finish for the Easter chicks....lol and following hatches.

Back
Top Bottom