Who wants to hear some real crap... this will be long....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmofaustin

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Flashback to about 4 weeks ago, neighbor comes over (renter) and she says "ya know I hate tell you this, but your roosters are really bothering me, I can't sleep, they crow all night. So I am really sorry that you will have to move your setup
ep.gif
, I know it was really hard for you guys to move that coop there." Okay, so being the descent neighbor I say "well how about if I close the coop up at night, would that help you out?" She says "no, it is your serama that bothers me the most, his shrill shreeking crow pierces through my head". So I say I am very sorry, and will try to come up with something.

3 weeks ago....
My husband and I are outside walking our property line and she asks what we are doing, I tell her that we are solving her rooster problem, we will now install a privacy fence 9' high along side her house and dropping to 6' high further down. She is not as happy as we thought she would be, hmmmm.

Here is what the property line looks like.....it goes through a driveway that was already on my property when it was subdivided, so basically, I have been so graciously letting her park on my property for the last 5 years.

visual-of-properties.jpg

1 week goes by while she ponders this and then my contractors pull up with all their equipment to dig holes for the fence posts. Now we are trying to get her to move her car so we can install posts, we knock, call her, knock some more, she is ignoring us. My husband finally says, call a tow truck, its on our property, not 2 minutes later, front door flings open and she gets in her car peels out in my driveway and drives off.
Now just to show ya'll I am not a bad person, I told her that until her landlord (who I did call a week previous to inform) put in a driveway for her, I would still let her park there and hold off on putting the pickets up. Of course she pretty much burned her bridges when she did the peel out thing though.
Ok so now she is having to walk 300' from her car to her front door. Not a happy camper.

Last Tuesday, we wake up to 2 of my animals dead :thun.

Friday her landlord shows up at my door, let it be known, he has flew in from Chicago for the Easter weekend. Landlord proceeds to tell me that if I put the fence up, he will take me to court
hu.gif
, WHAT? For putting a fence on my property line, are you high
smack.gif
? We tell him pay for a lawyer and a driveway or just a driveway, it's up to him. We actually told him we knew a contractor that did driveways and would have him come give an estimate.

Ok so here we are today...11am, county health dept. shows up to check out the substandard living conditions of some chickens called in by the neighbor. He says mind if I take some pics, I say please do. He takes a picture of the coop, I ask would you like to see inside, he says no, I have seen enough, I can't even smell chickens over here. He tells me he gets "bogus" calls like this all the time from feuding neighbors. Now by doing that, she really got me mad :thun.

I call the sheriff's dept. to tell them I am not sure what she will do next and that I am afraid for my animals. They say hang no trespassing signs and call back if her toenail hits my soil. I run to lowes, grab 4 and proceed to staple them on the posts facing her house. She walks out of the house, looks at them, then hops on my property and walks down to her car while I am taking pictures of her
lau.gif
, I call the sheriff out. When she gets back he tells her if I call them again because she is on my property, she is going straight to jail and asked her if it is worth it. The moral is 'Don't mess with a woman and her chickens, period'.

Well good night everyone, I had to just let this out. I can keep ya'll informed if you are interested.

Last edited:
I just read your post. Sounds like you got a chicken hater. Sorry to hear that two of your are dead. I'm so attached to mine I don't know what I'd do if that happened. Hope this person realizes that she has no power over your property.

Good thing I'm not her neighbor. I'd buy me a dozen longcrower roosters, no matter what the cost and leave lights on out there so they could crow all night....have you heard those things, they sound like trumpeting elephants...sorry to hear you are having trouble with your neighbor, so very glad my closest neighbor is a car ride away, I don't want to think about what I would do if my neighbor killed some of my fowl, crowing roosters would be the least of their worrys...

good luck

What a bad situation. I would be worried about the neighbor throwing poison into my yard. How much snail or rat poison would it take to kill a chicken?

That is my biggest fear right now, posion, I already put up a motion light to hopefully deter her a little. The 2 I found dead were a duck and a chicken.

I would move the coop and run for the safety of the animals. And leave the fence up and not let her park on your property.

I know by moving the coop it would seem like she wins, but what cost to leave them there?

I like the suggestion about the trumpeting elephant long crower roosters. Heeheehee.

How scary. You might want to ask for a copy of the police report to send to the landlord, along with a copy of the bogus complaint. It may be you can get him on your side after he sees she's not going to help him any with his, uh, attempt to, uh... keep you from building a privacy fence... on your property.

Well, scratch that. It probably won't do anything but prepare them.

To be quite honest with you, I hate this thing you can get into with neighbors. You should be able to go home and relax, not have to worry about some nutcase running on to your property and poisoning your chickens. At least the police seem to be on your side. Did you get a necropsy on your dead birds?

You have my sympathy for all you're going through. (And your birds, too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom