Whopper Egg

Gold Coaster

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Gold Coast - Queensland Australia
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share with you our astonishment when we found this whopper egg this morning that our ISA Brown (Red Star) named Rosie laid. The largest egg she has ever laid was around the 80g mark which is classified as Jumbo, but her regular eggs usually vary between 65g and 75g. But please tell me what you think this egg should be classified as - Extra Jumbo perhaps?
tongue.png

The egg on the right is 65g laid by our youngest 'girl' Dawn who we believe is a Black Star. All our chickens were adopted so we don't really know their ages or breeds. However, the helpful people on this forum helped us identify them as Red Stars and Black Stars.

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Extra Large is all I can think of, I've never seen anything labelled above that. :lol: What a massive egg! I bet that one has more than one yolk.

When I crack this egg open either today or tomorrow, I will let you all know what I find. So watch this space!

On average my chickens usually lay between 65g - 75g eggs. We did have one egg just over 80g the other day by one of our Black Star hens named Dusk.

I believe that lots of happy free ranging, and treats consisting of meal worms, corn kernels or cobs and grated cheese contributed to this Jumbo egg! Oh and don't forget the extra cuddles!
smile.png

By the way, if you look at my BYC avatar, that is my chook Rosie and she is the 'poor girl' responsible for this whopper.

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

We've had plenty of double yolkers from our RSLs before. They free range too, although it tends to happen more when they've just started laying. Our girls don't lay big eggs once they get a little older. :lol:

Extra Large is all I can think of, I've never seen anything labelled above that.
lol.png
What a massive egg! I bet that one has more than one yolk.

Hello Fierlin,

You made me curious so I decided to look up egg sizes on the Internet. The first table is for the USA and the second for Australia where I come from:

Modern Sizes (USA)
Size Mass per egg Cooking Yield (Volume)[1]
Jumbo Greater than 2.5 oz. or 71 g
Very Large or Extra-Large (XL) Greater than 2.25 oz. or 64 g 56 mL (4 tbsp)
Large (L) Greater than 2 oz. or 57 g 46 mL (3.25 tbsp)
Medium (M) Greater than 1.75 oz. or 50 g 43 mL (3 tbsp)
Small (S) Greater than 1.5 oz. or 43 g
Peewee Greater than 1.25 oz. or 35 g

Modern Sizes (Australia)
Size Mass per egg
King‐size 70.0g – 78.0g
Jumbo 66.7g – 70.0g
Extra-Large 58.3g – 66.6g
Large 50.0g – 58.2g
Medium 42.0g – 49.9g

Rosie's Whopper egg = 114g. Umm Extra-king-size maybe?
hmm.png

My chooks are all adopted so I'm not sure how old they are. We've had them for nearly a year now and when we first got them, they were already all laying.

Cheers,
Gold Coaster

Last edited:
i am new, so please forgive me for this question. i know it sounds ridiculous. if it were fertilized and had 2 yolks, could 2 chicks be hatched from that egg... my shift key is broken, so no caps or question marks tonight.

Back
Top Bottom