Why are K-9 cops so freaky thin??

The Shuz GS looks MORE like their forefathers than the modern GSD of today in shows. I had a GSD Heidi that her father was more heavier than the modern and he loved to be worked on in obeidence training. Very very intelligent dogs and they do use their brains. However Heidi was not from Shuz bloodlines but you can find her lines in most dogs in the background. She was from Trotswood or Trotwood and her grandmother was CH Capezio. I do not remember her father's real name but goes by the nick "Gator" because he was on the heavy side (not in weight but stature, bigger blocky head like Dainerra's dog is, heavy in head.

Dunno if there was pictures of them but the breeder lived in Springfield back in the 80's-90's. She had several champions under her belt and she does have the yard set up for slides, ramps, jumping, etc. for her dogs along with a ten foot tall fences all around. Little did I know that Heidi could jump a four foot fence and a six foot fence with ease. Always foudn her at the back door, sleeping........she was just happy!

You guys are exactly right. The dogs are in perfect working order. I've worked in SchH, French Ring and other protection sports and the dogs have to be kept fit to run, jump and have the endurance to do the work.... Fat dogs are not able to keep up. Most of these dogs probably eat the same amount as your house dog, but they are getting to work it off every day!

Most peoples dogs are WAY too fat.

What I find rather bizarre when you think about it - the working GSD, dogs more true in body proportions and type to the way Max von Stephanitz developed them to be - would more than likely be disqualified in an American show ring. They lack that weird slope to their backs that the American judges and public seem so fond of.

Scrabble eats a LOT of food, he also burns every last calorie off. He has to eat Solid Gold's "Barking At The Moon", and he eats 1 1/2 cups in the am, 1 cup when DD14 gets home from school, and another 1 - 1 1/2 cup at dinner. If he doesn't eat that much, he drops weight and is a sickly dog. I also know Beale, our Cocker mix, eats 1/4 cup in the am and 1/4 cup in the pm, and he's happy and the proper weight. He gets green beans or carrots or something mixed in so he's got more to eat, but he's a Cocker at heart, and he LOVES his food.

Yet, people swear we are starving him by only giving Scrabble at most 4 1/2 cups of food - plus some if he's acting hungry. They proceed to dump 8 cups of food in a dish and refill at the dog's demand, so the dog resembles a beach ball instead of a dog.

Axl is very lean. He's 19 months old, intact and between70 and 75 pounds. He is very active. People, including my husband, always say "He's soooo skinny!" He's not. The vet and I are quite content with his weight and condition. Like someone else said, I think people are so used to obese dogs that they think an appropriate weight and condition is skinny.
27119_dsc_0052.jpg

27119_dsc_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
love.gif
Very handsome boy!

X2
love.gif

X3
love.gif

I want a purebred GSD, but not for the price tag. Sigh. I'm too cheap to pay money for a well bred GSD who looks like they should.

Thanks for the compliments
smile.png

I didn't want the hefty price tag either, so I crossed my fingers and bought Axl from a farm in PA. So far, so good.

And, while he's not a trained police dog, I have taken him to work with me and passed him off as the dept. K-9
wink.png

Quote:
DH took Kane to the SO and jail with him one day. The trustee at the jail locked himself in his cell and refused to come out.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom