Why are my Chickens not laying eggs?

Sorry, it looks as if a few people replied without reading the discussion. I hope you are able to follow the relevant information. I kind of had to chuckle when I saw someone didn't believe you don't have snakes. You really don't have to be very far north before a garter snake has the territory to himself. Good luck, hopefully cutting back on treatments and a change in food will help. Your girls are at an age they will not likely lay during winter, but hopefully things will work out before then.

Hi eslyder92. How are the looking now? I hope the combs have continued to improve in color. I noticed that a few of the latecomers have suggested worming the chickens. Please, do NOT do that yet. I suspect this could be a part of the problem. Hoping for the best for you, and your chickens.

If my chickens have sucht a pale comb (in winter) they don't lay either. I don't know what the problem is, but first thing I would check is red mites. Next is changing the feed. Be sure they have fresh water at all times and good ventilation. Try to give them some fresh grass/weed clippings.
Deworming every three months is not healthy.

Are you still around? Are the combs getting bigger/ more red now? Could you post a few pics from you're setup too @eslyder92 ?

I have a quick question. Its my first time raising chickens so maybe I am doing something wrong.

My hens are going on 2 years old and I still have not had them lay one egg. They have access to grit and oyster shells as well as being on a diet that is suppose to aid in egg laying but I still have no eggs. My Buff Orpington was in the nesting box yesterday acting broody but there was no egg under her. What am I doing wrong?
Hi… I have over 50 years experience with chickens, so there’s not much I haven’t seen and/or dealt with… From what I’ve read and seen in your posts, they were exposed to an infection that will cause them to not develop fully (legs color, feathers, comb, eyes and beak). I can’t recall the name and don’t have the time to Google it, but you should)… If they were laying and something was eating/stealing them, there would have been evidence at some point over a two year time frame. Even if they were laying somewhere else. Even environmental factors (light, mites, coop size, etc.) can’t hold back nature. Again, over a two year period, if there were egg laying happening, you would find evidence, somewhere. Especially in an urban environment (my fifty years started in The Bronx 😎)…. My professional and personal advice..? They will never lay, so if you want them as pets, you’re all good, but don’t get anymore hens, because it’s infectious…. If you want eggs, they have to go (I’m so sorry)… Then, you have to clean out that coop, really well. Spray every inch of it with Lysol. Then mix a pail of Lyme and water, to a thinned paint consistency and paint every square inch… Every surface will be white. Just slop it on, it won’t be as much a chore as it sounds. I do it every spring (remember though, chickens like a dimly lit, quiet and calm coop, so hang curtains or cover up windows so not too bright, if needed)… Then, let the whole coop air out really well before getting new chicks… And be really cautious of who and where you get new chicks from. People seldom get rid of a perfectly good chicken. Personally, I get good eggs from people I know and hatch them myself…
Good Luck,
+Blessing
P.S… A good trick to tell if a chicken is laying..? The yellow of their legs becomes pale. As if, “the yellow of their legs goes to make the yolks yellow😉”. When they stop laying, their legs turn yellow again, like when they molt.
Lastly, the “light” thing…. They need 14 hours of light, year round. They are equatorial birds—they are not meant to be “given a break” from laying over the winter months. They are much healer with consistency. However, they NEED the sunset to keep healthy, so use a light in the morning. It doesn’t have to be bright at all, a 15watt bulb is fine (no CFL or fluorescent bulbs in the coop-ever..! LED or incandescent a must. LED don’t get hot and use very little power). Adjust the light timer to go on, 14 hours before sunset, at least once a month.
Again, Good Luck…

Hi… I have over 50 years experience with chickens, so there’s not much I haven’t seen and/or dealt with… From what I’ve read and seen in your posts, they were exposed to an infection that will cause them to not develop fully (legs color, feathers, comb, eyes and beak). I can’t recall the name and don’t have the time to Google it, but you should)… If they were laying and something was eating/stealing them, there would have been evidence at some point over a two year time frame. Even if they were laying somewhere else. Even environmental factors (light, mites, coop size, etc.) can’t hold back nature. Again, over a two year period, if there were egg laying happening, you would find evidence, somewhere. Especially in an urban environment (my fifty years started in The Bronx 😎)…. My professional and personal advice..? They will never lay, so if you want them as pets, you’re all good, but don’t get anymore hens, because it’s infectious…. If you want eggs, they have to go (I’m so sorry)… Then, you have to clean out that coop, really well. Spray every inch of it with Lysol. Then mix a pail of Lyme and water, to a thinned paint consistency and paint every square inch… Every surface will be white. Just slop it on, it won’t be as much a chore as it sounds. I do it every spring (remember though, chickens like a dimly lit, quiet and calm coop, so hang curtains or cover up windows so not too bright, if needed)… Then, let the whole coop air out really well before getting new chicks… And be really cautious of who and where you get new chicks from. People seldom get rid of a perfectly good chicken. Personally, I get good eggs from people I know and hatch them myself…
Good Luck,
+Blessing
P.S… A good trick to tell if a chicken is laying..? The yellow of their legs becomes pale. As if, “the yellow of their legs goes to make the yolks yellow😉”. When they stop laying, their legs turn yellow again, like when they molt.
Lastly, the “light” thing…. They need 14 hours of light, year round. They are equatorial birds—they are not meant to be “given a break” from laying over the winter months. They are much healer with consistency. However, they NEED the sunset to keep healthy, so use a light in the morning. It doesn’t have to be bright at all, a 15watt bulb is fine (no CFL or fluorescent bulbs in the coop-ever..! LED or incandescent a must. LED don’t get hot and use very little power). Adjust the light timer to go on, 14 hours before sunset, at least once a month.
Again, Good Luck…
So you encourage a light in winter months for them??
I’ve read where some say it’s not healthy they need a break, etc and don’t let them have artificial light.
(New to chickens so would like to know before winter.)

So you encourage a light in winter months for them??
I’ve read where some say it’s not healthy they need a break, etc and don’t let them have artificial light.
(New to chickens so would like to know before winter.)
It depends on you’re goals wether you should ad a light or not.
If you don’t mind to have less or no eggs in winter you don’t need to add artificial light. For the chickens health and life span this is probably the best.

It depends on you’re goals wether you should ad a light or not.
If you don’t mind to have less or no eggs in winter you don’t need to add artificial light. For the chickens health and life span this is probably the best.
Except Doc above stated it’s actually better for them to have light & not “get a winter break”.
Which is curious because I’ve not heard that theory before.

Back
Top Bottom