Why are my eggs bloody inside?!?

Please do not make comments that are unsupported by facts.
Blood inside the egg is caused by a small rupture in a blood vessel as the egg is being processed through the oviduct. You may also occasionally see a small fleshy spot. These are normal and not dangerous, but if you find it distasteful you can discard or feed the (cooked) eggs back to your hens.

Yes, that comment about a scared hen is just bogus.

When you say bloody, how bloody do you mean? A red spot on the yolk was probably caused by a broken blood vessel while the egg is being formed, and the egg can be safely eaten. A red spot in the white, or a "meat spot" was caused by sloughing off of some reproductive tissue--kinda gross, but totally safe to eat.

Now I have had one egg that was BLOODY-bloody and it was my own fault--I'd found an egg hidden in the shavings below the nest boxes, and assumed it was freshly laid. Apparently not, since the embryo had started to develop. This was during the 100+ degree days of summer. EWWWW

I had several from my last batch of chickens. They were pretty full of blood when you cracked them. It was not an embryo, but liquid red blood in a pool. Never found the cause & eventually it stopped. This is the only time I had a lot of blood in an egg in almost 20 years.

your birds have gotten scared well laying there eggs or before laying because when i hen gets scared more blood runs into the yoke and makes it look bloody so if there free range theres probably a cat or hawk scaring them so in a few days the eggs should be fine if they stop getting scared

My hen was pinneddown by a hundred pound lab.. she sll layed a healthy egg the next day...

Sorry to resurrect this necro-thread but one of my girls laid an egg today with blood in it, and it was much more than the example above.

Is this ok?

Had to research WHY this egg was so bloody and came across your site.
Reviewed the posts and reasons why....

Got up this Christmas Mourning to make my wife's - Mother breakfast.
Grabbed two eggs out of the freshly purchased egg carton.
The 1st one_OK, then the second one_ (Ouch)

Stood there for a while, never have seeing this before, I said to myself
oh-well, its just blood and continued.
Then I said, nah, better start over.
Discarded the two eggs and cracked two more which were OK.
Then I said to myself, crap, I should wash the pan and start over, which I did.

Grandma ate her breakfast, said it was delicious and did not fall over dead.
I didn't show her the bloody egg until later.
She grew up on a farm and said that she had never seen an egg that bloody.

Here are two pic's I took at the time.

This is exactly what I just experienced. How long did yours take to get back to norm? Have you any knowledge of why or how this happened?

Sorry to resurrect this necro-thread but one of my girls laid an egg today with blood in it, and it was much more than the example above. Is this ok?
I found the same thing this morning when i fixed breakfast. It was a little bit more blood than your pic. It was the first egg I cracked, and from my SBEL pullet. I had two more of her eggs so I cracked them next and they were all bloody as well. She laid a couple eggs last week that were fine, but didn't lay for about the six weeks prior to that. I did not get an egg from her today. At least I can easily single her eggs out if it continues to be a problem. I've never had that happen before, but I've only had chickens for the last couple years. ETA: could it possibly be caused by the sudden sub-artic temps? You know, 50*F one day, then 2*F (wind chill -8*F) just a few days later? I'm surprised I even got any eggs. They all have been on strike for the last month or so....

Last edited:
I had an egg like these this morning! Wondering if the temp is causing this? First it's 45 degrees then it's 10! I won't eat them but my hubby doesn't care! Still yummy and safe to eat :)

. Got this one this morning. Had cereal instead.

Back
Top Bottom