why are my hens like this ?

blk90s13

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Howell,NJ
I have 3 hens all 3 went brood in the same week so when two of them went out to the run I moved the eggs under the one that was laying the longest and the one that also didn't move since the went brood

now the two that have no eggs in the nest still lay in there all the time ( wont even get out to eat or drink ) and there is nothing in there ( no eggs )

they also sometimes share the same nest they would just cuddle in there side by side laying on nothing mean time the third hen is laying on all 6 eggs

did I do something wrong ? hope not

Give them some eggs to sit on, and make sure you make them get off the nest once a day atleast to eat and drink. You can also put food and water right infront of them so they have easy access. Hope this helps, good luck!

Do a search on breaking a broody if you don't want them to set on any eggs or you could sneak some day old chicks under them at night.

You said all 3 went broody in the same week, but are all the eggs you stuck under the one hen at the same stage of incubation? If they are a few days apart the hen may abandon the late hatching eggs to care for the chicks that hatched first.

What is wrong with giving each bird 2 eggs each? If they are anything like mine then they won't give up and that can be hard on the chickens health. They will not eat and/or drink but maybe once a day. My latest broody is a WJG and she refused to get off the nest at all. I moved her inside the garage to be safe and keep her seperate but she still wouldn't budge. I had to get her off the nest every day to go to the bathroom and to eat at least a little. In the beginning I was afraid to mess with her but she hadn't gotten off the nest in like 4 days so I found on here that it was ok to take her off and let her poo and eat a little. Well oh my the poo was unbelievable it was more liquid and I bet it shot across the garage floor at least 2 feet in length. From then I moved off each day and made her eat a little something.

She did hatch out 3 little babies and unfortunately one died 3 days later but she has 2 beautiful little (hopefull) girls.

But I think you should let them each be a mommy. They are not layin any eggs anyways so why not?

I got them all three off the eggs yesterday and OMG the size of poop there was there at first glance I thought my dog went in there and did his thing

anyway they came back in and when I went to check on them they moved all 6 eggs in one next and all 3 of them are squeezed in there together now
sad.png

I will just let them be wont even bother with what they are doing

Back
Top Bottom