Why are my hens pooping in their nests??

mertzee

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Middle TN
So I've only been a chicken momma for about 9 months now and I've had to deal with some doozy issues but I digress for now...

About 2 months ago, I found soft straw bedding material at TSC and thought my girls deserve a nice soft place to rest so I bought a bag. Well, they have kicked the straw out of the coop I suppose looking for seeds but they have since started pooping in the nesting boxes??? Why?? Should I go back to pine shavings for the nest boxes?

I have a prefab TSC coop and things were fine for the most part till I put the straw in the nest boxes instead of the pine shavings.

Crazy hens!

Last edited:
I've got to warn you about the prefab, they are not predator proof, especially the nest boxes, I've seen coon's push that bottom pannels right up and get in that way.
One or more of your hens must be sleeping in the nest, she might be low on the pecking order or there's not enough room for her up on the roosts. Most likely the later since prefab lie about how many hens they can hold, always divide by two.

I use pine shavings, but the only reason I find lots of poop in the nesting boxes is if a hen has decided she wants to sleep there, could that possibly be the case?
They used to use the roost bar, but since I changed the bedding they started sleeping in the nests??:rolleyes:

I've got to warn you about the prefab, they are not predator proof, especially the nest boxes, I've seen coon's push that bottom pannels right up and get in that way.
One or more of your hens must be sleeping in the nest, she might be low on the pecking order or there's not enough room for her up on the roosts. Most likely the later since prefab lie about how many hens they can hold, always divide by two.
Yeah it said up to 10 hens when I bought it but only got 5 hens so I figured I was good on space. This particular coop doesn't have an accessible bottom panel. The hardware mesh is also secured in better as something did try unsuccessfully to get in a few weeks ago. We plan to secure it better too with electric fencing for cattle so if something tries it will get a big surprise!

But yes they are all sleeping now in the nest boxes instead of on the roost bar??

Yeah it said up to 10 hens when I bought it but only got 5 hens so I figured I was good on space. This particular coop doesn't have an accessible bottom panel. The hardware mesh is also secured in better as something did try unsuccessfully to get in a few weeks ago. We plan to secure it better too with electric fencing for cattle so if something tries it will get a big surprise!

But yes they are all sleeping now in the nest boxes instead of on the roost bar??
Could there be a cross draft or something disturbing them up on the roosts?

Honestly, my birds prefer the 2x4 as I have both the round and 2x4 perches in the coop and they all hop on the 2x4 in the winters... in the summer they seem to prefer the round perch. So, Ill just leave it at that so they are happy either way.

Back
Top Bottom