Why are some of my hens laying and others not?

coophead

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Moreland, Georgia
We have a total of six hens, two R.I.Reds and four Buff Orpengtons and a RIR rooster. They are all the same age, about 26 weeks, same size and appear to be very healthy. I let them free range during the day and are cooped at night. I feed them layer feed in their feeders and give them scatch every morning with a dose of orster shell. Three out of the six lay everyday, one RIR and two Buffs. I've kept them cooped for a couple days just to see if the other three hens are laying outside the coop but discovered only three eggs per day. Are the non-laying hens just lazy and spoiled or maybe just late bloomers?

Thanks Chickencanoe,
You are probably right. They are getting pretty red and I guess I'm being a little impacient. Hopefully they will lay soon. I would threaten them with the soup pot but I don't think they understand english and I'lm still learning how to speak proper chicken. Love my girls!

How do you know that only those three are laying? Just curious, as I have no idea which ones of mine are laying each day. Just because you get 3 eggs, it doesn't necessarily mean the same three are laying those eggs. 6 chickens will not always lay 6 eggs per day. Perhaps you are sure which are laying, so just disregard my comments.

How do you know that only those three are laying? Just curious, as I have no idea which ones of mine are laying each day. Just because you get 3 eggs, it doesn't necessarily mean the same three are laying those eggs. 6 chickens will not always lay 6 eggs per day. Perhaps you are sure which are laying, so just disregard my comments.
Good point! I have observed the same hens in the nesting boxes, one RIR which has a little darker egg than the Buffs. Even though the same breed look very much alike, there are noticeable differences in their appearance and personalities. There are the same, one darker egg and two lighter eggs and are the same size dailey except,of course, for the days the hens skip laying. I could be wrong but you would think that there would be some days with more than three eggs in the nesting boxes. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the same hens laying but anything is possible. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom