Why are their feathers different? Pics included

EHook518

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2012
Denver, CO
I have a 4-5 week old EE mutt that is growing feathers differently than my other chicks. Is this normal or what? I am beginning to think it is a roo too! Its wing feathers are smooth but on his back and tail they look more like hair. I am very curious how this one is going to turn out, new light brown feathers are growing on its wings, you can see them in this picture, and there is a green tint to its wings in the sun but then it has white on its chest.

Compared to the others whose feathers are smooth all over:

the very last photo is a rooster
the one in question looks like a girl

I am really wondering why the feathers on the first one are split instead of smooth. Since it is a mutt I thought there might be a breed that has feathers like that. I think it is still to early to sex them, the first one sometimes looks like a roo to me so I am waiting to post pictures when they are older, don't have to know yet which ones will crow.

I am really wondering why the feathers on the first one are split instead of smooth. Since it is a mutt I thought there might be a breed that has feathers like that. I think it is still to early to sex them, the first one sometimes looks like a roo to me so I am waiting to post pictures when they are older, don't have to know yet which ones will crow.
hmmm try posting in breeds, genetics, and showing section. U will get more answers u r looking for there

it might have silkie in its background or the silkie gene could have just popped up as it does that sometimes even in closed flocks...the last pic there is no question on its gender that is a cockerel the one in question about its feathers looks to be a pullet. most people can sex them at 6 weeks of age 8+ is better to me though

Last edited:
it might have silkie in its background or the silkie gene could have just popped up as it does that sometimes even in closed flocks...the last pic there is no question on its gender that is a cockerel the one in question about its feathers looks to be a pullet. most people can sex them at 6 weeks of age 8+ is better to me though

We hatched these eggs in our classroom. There were two in the bunch that had fuzzy legs, is that a silky? These guys are only 4.5 weeks so I am trying to be patient in sexing them. One person did not think the second chick was a cockerel, just that it had the single comb gene. Who knows, its comb is yellower than the first chick.

silkies, d'uccles, cochins, brahmas, and a few other breeds have feathered legs. what sets silkies apart is that they have black skin and their feathers look like hair (also have 5 toes, a crest, and maybe a beard as not all silkies have beards). they are all probably mixed with some other breeds

Back
Top Bottom