Why are they trying to trip me....

poodlepill

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Southern Illinois
Every evening, I go out to the coop to open the door so the chickens can go to bed. The little savages come running and meet me at the gate to the pasture where they are happily free ranging all day, then its a nice parade with me (like I am mother nature) to the coop.

Well during this nice peaceful parade to the coop they each take turns dashing in front of me trying to trip me and/or flying up ON me, suddenly my joyous stroll turns me flailing my arms, spinning around in circles and/or Army crawling to the coop as to not step on them.

LOL not really but you get the picture.....GRRRRRR

It is very annoying, isn't it? It's also a potentially dangerous situation, as their little legs/feet can easily be injured by being stepped on.

Are they running out of feed between meals, or do you have a large capacity feeder which could prevent them from running out?

I had a huge problem with my chickens mobbing me like this, but once I switched them from the cheap, commercial feed (which is really only an extension of our own broken food system), and started feeding my own whole grain diet, no more mobbing. Because they're finally satiated by eating "real" food.

gig.gif
Mine would do that too. They don't do it so much anymore. It always happens when I bring out their snack for the evening when I have to feed the horses. They get cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds. Well, I learned to run just so I could stay ahead of them. Figured it was a good way to get my exercise. So, what the heck.
thumbsup.gif
I would get where I had to be, turn around and watch all the chickens rush to get there snack. Always cracked me up so it was worth doing.

Now, with it so hot I don't have to run. I get to the spot and the girls will eventually come out from under the deck. Heck, I don't blame them it's probably the coolest place for them. They don't seem to leave that spot for very long....... hahaha. Funny to watch them get ahead of you then slow down to make sure I'm the leader. Sure, I trip over a bird once in a while but they learn to stay away from my feet. We have a routine which seems to work out much better now.

So, make a game out of it. Try and stay ahead of the pack......
clap.gif
Make a routine that the chickens can follow and things will work out great. It's fun bringing a kid into it too. Just tell them when they get out the door to just RUN! and don't STOP! Don't tell them why but to just do it. It's hysterical. They fear for there lives. I did that to my 19 yr old neice and all she could say is "Why are we running?!?!" Once we got to our spot I told her to stop and turn around. She started laughing and thought it was really cool.
lau.gif

I agree with La Niegh Homme They are starving for good nutrition... Use some bird seed and wheat and best of all Boss (black oil sunflower seeds) mixed in with their layer and the problem will change DRAMATICALLY.

The little Velociraptors are trying to trip you up, knock you down, and rend you asunder into bite size morsels.

Quote:
Now THAT is funny!!!
lau.gif

LOL you guys, yes they have plenty of food. The little savages free range all day in pasture, in the barn and around a pond, they also have a super capacity feeder in the 10x20 coop. I = good stuff so I am either giving them treats or opening the coop so they can go to bed.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Indeed my friend le neige homme..
wink.png

darkmatter The little Velociraptors are trying to trip you up, knock you down, and rend you asunder into bite size morsels.

lau.gif
.. I am quite confident if you fell down and cracked your head open they would eat you...
ep.gif

Mine associate the white 5 gal pail to feeding time. Just bang the spoon on the side and the come running from all directions for the parade to the coop. Yep try to trip me too..

OK OP:
Why do you close the door to the coop? Do you have food outside? Maybe they are hungry because they are not getting enough free ranging? They fly up on you because the want to roost at the highest spot. We had a few of our pet chickens do that, know that they are adults they rarely do that.

Personally I kind of like the "chicken parade"

ON​

Back
Top Bottom