Why Bantams? I don't get it....

idispatch4911

Chirping
8 Years
May 20, 2011
Southern Utah
I don't get why people would want a smaller chicken. I guess I'm so "dual purpose minded" that I can't see the use for a banty after laying isn't productive. Is there something I'm missing? Are bantams more for people who want a larger flock without the "mass" of a full size chicken?

I'm with you.
idunno.gif
They're cute, but not good for much other than ornamentation. Not saying I wont have one or two someday, but the bulk of my flock will always be standards.

Quote:
Yea pretty much.............................. For some folks banty's fit for them for a few reasons, the house chicken people like their size, some people use the less feed excuse, less space to raise more, the ladies like them cause their cute and small makes them easy to handle. Some breeds in the Bantam size have a totally different look and some folks like that. there could be many other reasons. I have never seen the attraction myself I raise LF, but the banty's are very popular.

my bantys are show birds. my daughter shows them in 4H and we show APA. I also have a flock of standards and ducks for egg production. My khaki campbell ducks out lay everything on the farm
38899_100_1856.jpg

guilty!! I love my big bottom girls but there's something about the compactness that drives me to keep bantams...I love them and it has nothing to do with the fact that Im a female-or less feed or space...Dh loves them more than the LF
roll.png
I can't ever see myslef without some around...I dont really get eggs so much from mine anymore but Im ok with that...they are in retirement:)

Because many are gorgeous:

84140_img_1301.jpg

Yesterday my "big girls" (7 of them) laid a total of 4 eggs. My "little" girls (6 of them) laid 5. I've been a bit surprised that the cochins eggs are approximately the same size as a medium to large egg in the grocery.

Gail

Why do some people like miniature dogs? Or ponies? or doll furnitiure? Small is cute! I can have more chickens in my coop and they lay better than my big girls. When they're not broody, they are egg laying machines.

Back when I was working with exotic birds, most of the bird folks I knew were into the "bigger" parrots....everything from cockatiels all the way up to Macaws.

My personal favorite were finches, especially Lady Gouldians. At one time, I had close to 200 of these. I was drawn to their incredibly beautiful colors.

Gail

Back
Top Bottom