Why do ducks try to escape?

pookiethebear

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
I have 3 ducks that have tried my patients more than once here. I love them and they are too cute to watch and quack at. They have a very nice box that they do not use, plenty of water and food, kiddy pool pond, lots of space to root for bugs and grass, etc. But still I have to catch at least one every day and put back in the duck area. Once they get out they stay right at the fence perimiter beside the other 2 that are still inside. They make no sense. My male even ripped out his curly tail feathers getting out. That had to hurt! Nothing gets after them, they just seem to be full of 'it greener on the other side' syndrom. I can not afford to put in a higher fence, like I said they do not go anywhere once they get out... I just don't want them really hurting themselves one of these times.... What can I do with these goofy ducks??!! Besides send them to the freezer.

Hmmm....what kind of ducks? Do they fly out? None of my non-flyers try to leave but I have a call who escaped once. i found him sitting on TOP of the aviary netting trying to get back in!
lol.png

If your enclosure isn't too big, and mine is 35x40, try the aviary netting. You can get tree netting for much cheaper to try it out first before spending a lot on the top flight stuff.

I have 2 pekins and one rouen. Any given time any of the three have been outside the pen. Thier pen is 50x50' pretty big area. The Rouen can fly, I have no clue of the Pekins can or not. One minute I look outside and they are all happy inside the area, I look back again a few minutes later and at least one is outside the area. Goofy ducks! I would think that getting all or most of your tail feathers ripped out trying to escape would teach him not to try, but he does anyway. His poor tail is now a V shape with all the middle and the curly feathers gone. Best I can figure it is he is squiggling under the fence somehow. The fence is 7' deer netting that I cut lengthwise, so it is 3.5' high. I am not all that worried about them getting out, it is more or less there to teach them where their area is. When they do get out they do not go far, but I do not want them in the pumpkin patch on the other side of the orchard (They are at one end of the orchard). I just don't get why they try to get out.

Quote:
We discussed this already in another thread. Her fence is only 2' tall.

-Kim

Quote:
We discussed this already in another thread. Her fence is only 2' tall.

-Kim

oops sorry
thanks.

You're welcome.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom