Why Do I have Chickens???

Ann10

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 20, 2014
I got 2 buff orpingtons in February 2014, they started to lay eggs in May and then both became broody in the summer. Broodiness turned into molting and now, I have not had one egg since August 27th!! I had them raise some chicks and now have 4 chickens ages 17 weeks, 27 weeks and one year. I feed, water and house them but nothing, nada...

I kind of got into doing this for the eggs and am more than a little frustrated. None of them are doing the egg song or squatting. I assume that means weeks more of waiting!! Argg!!

Hens that age often lay right on through their first winter, but as you've seen, molting and broodiness can really throw a wrench in the works! Don't feel alone, I haven't seen a single egg in months either. Most of my current group turned 2 in Sept., they stopped laying when they molted and looks like I probably won't see any eggs until the days start getting longer.

If you want to speed up the egg process, you can give them supplemental light. add an extra 1/2 hour/week over the natural increase that we are now getting. However, I expect that if you do nothing, you'll see eggs by mid January if not early February, and then you'll have them coming out your ears. What are you feeding them? Are they getting Layer, starter or grower? or multi-flock?

If you want to speed up the egg process, you can give them supplemental light. add an extra 1/2 hour/week over the natural increase that we are now getting. However, I expect that if you do nothing, you'll see eggs by mid January if not early February, and then you'll have them coming out your ears. What are you feeding them? Are they getting Layer, starter or grower? or multi-flock?

I tried extending the day in October and November, but that didn't work...

Since I have pullets 10 weeks apart in age, they were all on starter and now grower together. My bag of grower is just now about empty and I plan to put them all on layer.

Last week seems to have been my lucky week! My 3 year old bantam cochin started laying again, as did two of my 2 year old green eggers. The bantam hadn't given me eggs in months and months, but she'd been broody and raised babies so she was forgiven
wink.png
. The green eggers quit back in late September/early October, I never expected them to start back up again this soon!

Plus, my late May hatchery birds have started laying---goodbye store bought Nazi eggs!

Solstice has passed, we're on the downside of waiting now, so just hang in there and be patient! Since you're looking for production, you might consider ditching the broody Orpingtons and going with a more production-based bird like a sex link.

you might consider ditching the broody Orpingtons and going with a more production-based bird like a sex link.
I actually did just that. One of my chickens is a black sex link, she is the 17 weeks old and growing a comb and wattle faster than the 27 week old BO. I suspect she will have her first egg before the BO!

I just want you to know that you nailed it Lazy Gardener. Our 4th chicken started laying today, and the other 3 started laying in the last week. We got 4 eggs today! Phew, 5.5 months without eggs was a long time to wait!

Back
Top Bottom