Why do my chickens spend most of their time in the coop?

allison_waring

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2022
Central Vermont
Asking more because I'm curious then concerned. We've had our 6 chickens (5 hens and 1 rooster) for almost 2 years now. This is their second winter (we live in Vermont and have pretty cold winters). Last winter they spent a considerable amount of time out in their run. This winter they are spending the majority of their day in the coop, which isn't even all that roomy. They come out in the morning to fill up on food and water and then head back inside for several hours. They'll come back out just before bed to eat again before roosting for the night. Even on days when it's not that cold they just spend hours standing around in their coop. When I check on them it's like I've interrupted an important business meeting they were having :confused:.

For the most part their run and coop are the same setup as last year. Their run is wrapped in plastic to keep out snow and wind. It also has a roof covering it. The only real change I made to their coop this year is adding a poop shelf to try to keep the amount of poop in their bedding down....but since they're spending so much time in there it's not really going as planned.

Do they just really like hanging out in their coop? Is there anything I can do to encourage them to spend more time out in their run? Is this normal? Added pictures of their coop and run for reference.

Attachments

• 20231211_102751.jpg
    20231211_102751.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20231211_102827.jpg
    20231211_102827.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231211_102808.jpg
    20231211_102808.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 34
That is really odd, especially since you covered all your bases with the weather-resistant run. Are their nest boxes in there? Can you lock them out? 😅

I'm in central NH, so the weather's not all that different here. You look like you have plump winter-hardy birds as well. How about a treat toy to lure them out? Or a bale of straw to destroy (as someone kindly suggested for my setup).

Their nest boxes are in there but I've had them covered with a board for a couple of weeks since they're not currently laying and I had one hen who was trying to sleep in there. They have a treat toy (peanut butter jar with holes drilled in it) that they like pecking at. Once they're full though they just retire to the coop for the day even if there is food left in the toy. I like the idea of adding more things for them to dig around in. I think once they're full they just like retiring to their coop for a long comfortable rest....but maybe adding something more to entertain them with will keep them outside longer.

That is really odd, especially since you covered all your bases with the weather-resistant run. Are their nest boxes in there? Can you lock them out? 😅

I'm in central NH, so the weather's not all that different here. You look like you have plump winter-hardy birds as well. How about a treat toy to lure them out? Or a bale of straw to destroy (as someone kindly suggested for my setup).
I agree. Give them something to do. My chickens love picking apart straw and finding the bits of grain that the machine missed.

When I check on them it's like I've interrupted an important business meeting they were having
This cracked me up! :D

How long has this been going on...since you put up the winter wind tarps...or...???
Are the wind breaks exactly like they were last year?
It could be that something spooked them that you are unaware of.

This cracked me up! :D

How long has this been going on...since you put up the winter wind tarps...or...???
Are the wind breaks exactly like they were last year?
It could be that something spooked them that you are unaware of.
Last year we had some frostbite issues on our rooster's comb so we went taller with the wind break this year. They are definitely spooked by it when I move the one side that can be rolled back but as long as it's not moving they seem fine about it. When it's in place it's pretty taught and doesn't really move in the wind. Maybe they feel safer in the coop where there's no scary plastic?

I'm tempted to give them some straw. I've been hesitant in the past because I've heard straw can cause impacted crops. Is that not something I should really worry about?
Someone told me hay is more of an issue than straw for compaction.

I'm also a bit concerned about impaction because my girls LOVE to eat bedding, wood chips, etc.

Back
Top Bottom