Why do my chickens spend most of their time in the coop?

Oh.... Stop. 🙂
We all know you meant the best of intentions.
:highfive:
"Uh, have you tried chaining them to the run next to the flapping tarp that's scaring everyone? That'll teach them to get over it."

** end self-deprecating sarcasm **

No wonder mine are all neurotic and messed up.

In all seriousness, we've also had a lot of tarp flapping the last few weeks with this wind. I've tried to sit out with them whenever I see they're nervous, and that usually helps diminish the threat. Over the last few months, they've adapted to the lawn mower, leaf blower, excessive wind, and (shockingly) my neighbor shooting guns.

This is why no one should ever listen to me. I'm a bait member used to attract other members that know what they're talking about! 😂
Don't lock them out of the coop. If that's where they feel safe, you'll just add a lot of stress.
Lots of great advise flowing, but if that's where they want to be and they got all their needs met then leave them to their comfort zone.

I will add my older birds (3 yrs) spend way more time just lounging around in the barn when it's not full sun out, where the younger pullets love to stray out further no matter what the weather.
I wouldn't ever lock them out of their coop. I actually find it kind of cute and amusing that they enjoy spending so much time in there, but I don't want them to be afraid of their run or be bored. Perhaps I'll try a combo of more enrichment and work on switching out their wind block when I get the chance. I appreciate all of the ideas.

How long do they stay out? Do they just dash right back into the coop? You could lock them out of the run when they come out to eat, and let them back in after 20 or 30 minutes past their usual time to go back. They will get used to staying out for that short increment of time and may become less house sour.

Back
Top Bottom