Why do my corny-x have purple butts when they die?

Hiesenburg

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
I am having kind of a bad year and I suspect it is due to the cool wet weather. I brood 100 at a time. Each week I get another 100. I am losing about 20 % to this "purple butt". They are fine for the first week. Second week I might have lost 2. The 3rd week and fourth week they are moved to a larger more open brooder. The floor is covered in shavings and I am pretty sure I have adequate heat, about 75-85 degrees give or take. They have water but I haven't been taking the food away at night. We have gotten lots of rain. Last week it was 4 inches in 2 days. I am finding I am adding shaving everyday because their bedding feels damp. After 4 weeks they go out on pasture in an 8x20 tractor, at 5 weeks they are split into two 8x20 tractors. I am still not taking the food away at night. I seem to lose most of the birds when there has been extremes in temperatures or extreme rain. Is it the rain causing my poor corny-x's to get the "purp"? ,

I just counted up how many meat birds I've raised since I started at the beginning of Feb and I'm up to 1500 with what I have on hand right now.

In one of my early groups I had a bird which I believe suffered from coccidiosis but survived.....yeah, I know, should have culled her, but didn't. Anyway, we called her "mora" which here in Venezuela is something akin to a blackberry, except it's purple. She was purple, very purple, and spent days sitting in the corner. She finally recovered and joined the other birds, or perhaps a group coming up behind her and was butchered without my ever noticing which one she was.

Also, our rains started here a few weeks ago and I can honestly say it's much more tricky to raise meatbirds during the rainy season. My first few batches were during our summer or dry season and it was much easier.....healthier-looking birds, drier bedding, less smell, fewer problems with diseases.

I'm on the second phase of treatment for coccidiosis for one group right now. Lost 9 birds out of 200 in just a couple of days. Fortunately things are stable now. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks Agrourica. I will definitely look closer at their droppings closer. Good luck to you and your bird operation. Sounds like you are doing a hell of a job.
T

Thanks Agrourica. I will definitely look closer at their droppings closer. Good luck to you and your bird operation. Sounds like you are doing a hell of a job.
T

Yup, that's the first sign, bloody stool. I saw first blood late last Saturday morning and didn't have any treatment on hand. The nearest vet supply is almost an hour's drive and they close at midday. I called a buddy who just happened to be in town and he bought a bottle for me.

Three days on, two days off, three days on at a lower dosage. I'll finish tomorrow.

In one of my earlier batches of birds I saw what looked like a bloody stool one night but no birds died and never saw it again. Next time I see it, I'll treat immediately.

Good luck with your meaties.

Back
Top Bottom