Why do so many people recommend Epsom salt soaks for bumblefoot?

Peas4Ducks

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
This is something I've been wondering for a while--why do so many people recommend Epsom salt soaks as a treatment for bumblefoot? My understanding is that even for relieving sore muscles, Epsom salt isn't really proven to be any more effective than plain hot water. And since bumblefoot is a bacterial infection and not just a sprain or a pulled muscle, Epsom salt would be even less effective at treating it. It seems like the minor infections that are reported as successfully treated with Epsom salt would heal on their own anyway, or benefit just as much from soaks in plain warm water?

If anyone knows why/if Epsom salt is actually an effective treatment, I'm very curious!

This is something I've been wondering for a while--why do so many people recommend Epsom salt soaks as a treatment for bumblefoot? My understanding is that even for relieving sore muscles, Epsom salt isn't really proven to be any more effective than plain hot water. And since bumblefoot is a bacterial infection and not just a sprain or a pulled muscle, Epsom salt would be even less effective at treating it. It seems like the minor infections that are reported as successfully treated with Epsom salt would heal on their own anyway, or benefit just as much from soaks in plain warm water?

If anyone knows why/if Epsom salt is actually an effective treatment, I'm very curious!
I think it may help to dry out the bumble foot especially when oil is used after

I've used Epsom salt, salt and vinegar then oiled.
Recently I was told about surgical spirits, I wiped their feet and legs with this then applied vaseline, I found this was better than the oils

Epsom salts is highly absorbent which may help draw out infection. Epsom salts will soften the skin which can aide other cream medications used. Because it softens the skin it will help when removing the scab. However I have cured five feet now doing no soaking whatsoever. Empsom salts is not a cure, but an aide to curing bumblefoot.

Last edited:
Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It has been shown (in humans anyway), that there are channel proteins in the skin which allow the magnesium ions to enter the skin during a soak. Magnesium ions in the body are essential for lots of things including helping muscles relax, allowing some white blood cells to work, providing cellular energy. Personally, I take an Epsom salt bath almost every morning and no longer have arthritis issues and I rarely get sick. Here is an article about the need for magnesium ions to fight cancer and viruses: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...-immune-system-to-fight-cancer-and-infections

Probably more than you wanted but I would soak bumble foot in Epsom salt.

So glad you asked this! I liked getting info from the responses. Following for any other information people have on this. If you have trying to treat nimble foot check out the bucket method. Haven’t had to do that yet but brilliant (and so simple ) the things people come up with

Back
Top Bottom