Why do we love chickens?

RGConroy

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
I'm new to the list but not new to chickens. I really get a kick out of keeping my flock of 12 but someone asked me to write a story on why keeping chickens is so popular...

So I'm asking you -- why are chickens so popular? Not only as pets/small livestock but even as decorative items.

I'd appreciate any ideas or opinions.

RG in NH

Fresh eggs, entertainment value, they are cheap to keep (most of the time, unless you get into hatching, showing, etc etc), and they have their own personalities just like a dog or cat does.
I can have the worst day and going out and watching them peck and scratch just calms me down. I have Anxiety Disorder and watching those silly birds does much more for me than any doctor has done.

I like chickens because they're so social and always busy. It also relaxes me to watch them pecking around the yard. And then of course, there are the eggs. I could never buy from a store again. I think the biggest reason is it reminds us all of simpler times.
smile.png
Jen

Last edited:
I agree....they are relaxing. They have their own personalities...and it is such a hoot to watch them come a running....it always think of ladies in hoop skirts running a race with their dresses hitched up. They make me laugh....and there is just something about going out and picking up your own fresh eggs.

Yes, they are very relaxing, kind of like watching an aquarium. Each has their own personality, and you end up with your favorites in the group. I like trying to figure out the pecking order and just watching them go about their "chicken business". They're not real complicated or demanding (unless they're hungry or thirsty), so there's no real stress involved with trying to interact with them. I also like to listen to them vocalize and try to figure out what the sounds mean. It's really very interesting. I've learned a little of their "language".

I love my chickens because they are so relaxing and fun to watch. They are not dumb as some people think. They are relatively easy to care for[though I haven't had any sickness with them yet and been doing this for over two years]. And they are so pretty!!!!

Thank you to everyone who has repsonded to my inquiry. i agree chickens are very entertaining and soothing to hang out with -- most of the time.

Any clues on why chicken art/decor is so popular? Is it just a yearning for a simpler, more pastoral time? there's something about the shape of hens and roosters that is very pleasing too...

Be well,

RG in NH

Well, I have rooster decor in my kitchen because it goes with DH and my lifestyle and where we live. We live in Norco, Ca which is dubbed "Horsetown USA" and our house is decorated in that decor. I have a lot of western art and rodeo decor and the kitchen is roosters.
And, since I love chickens and horses so much, I can't get enough of them. Seeing them around my house is as pleasing to me as being outside with them.
Downtown Norco has a lot of little shops where you can find really neat decor and it's hard not to go shopping on a Saturday afternoon!
lol.png

Cuz they don't talk back at ya..LOL....I keep them for space and time that I had with my 2 grown kids..had to find something to keep me busy..so got chickens,peacocks,ducks, pot belly piggy,3 dogs,1ferret,and 1 priaire dog..oh forgot fish tank full of fish...lol...

Moodene, I couldn't agree more. You filled your time as I did! lol
big_smile.png
Instead of children at home, I too now have an entire ZOO of animals here and I wouldn't take for them.
As for why chickens are so popular, my response mimics many others. They are very calming, fun to watch and reminds me of such a simpler time in life, when things were not so complicated or technologically integrated. Although don't get me wrong - - - I do LUV my puter! roflmbo I think that many people would like to live the life less complicated, yet are not willing to give up the fine things in life that big cities offer????? Maybe? Or could it be that we animal lovers would live that way, regardless of where we lived? Just a thought......what are yours?

Back
Top Bottom