Why Do You Use Deep Bedding/Why Do You NOT Use Deep Bedding?

Pics
I do NOT use deep-litter because I can't keep it dry. Either the stupid rooster (Lucifer, used to be Lucy) turns it over, or the stupid duck turns it over (that would be Dik-dik). Neither, apparently, has any control over their feet! And yes, I have tried the white/red plastic waterers, which don't work ... they leak out a whole gallon of water overnight. Doesn't matter if they are suspended or on the floor. So the floor of my 4x6' coop is soaked, and it's freezing outside, and I can't get it dried out until summer sometime. So I either live with a wet floor or with chickens (and a duck) who do not have water through the night.
I would suggest not having your feed or water in the coop. Put it out in the run. That should keep you from having water issues in the coop. That said - I do not have a good visual on what your setup is. The set-up is really paramount to whether you can do deep litter or not.

No I do NOT use the deep-litter method because I can't keep it DRY! My stupid rooster (once named Lucy, now Lucifer) and my stupid Khaki Campbell duck both upend it within minutes of putting down a bowl of water. Apparently, neither species can do anything to control their feet! And yes, I have tried the standard red/white plastic waterers, which leak a whole gallon of fresh water over the entire 4x6' coop floor overnight. Can't even blame the birds for that. I'm going to use is as a drip-water hose this spring. If I could use deep-litter, I would!

Yikes. I don't want to run through 15 pages of comments but I hope this helps someone. I've been using coffee chaff which is free in big bags from our local coffee roaster. It costs nothing, smells delightful, and the chickens seem to like it. I use it primarily in the coop and roosting areas but it sifts out I to the run too. The chaff us lightweight and fluffy but it clumps almost like kitty litter so it's a breeze to clean the coops out. I've used straw, shredded paper, excelsior, and I'll never go back to any of those. Coffee chaff just seems so much more sanitary and it breaks down quickly in my compost bin.

I'm putting together an article on using Deep Bedding in a small coop and wanted to make sure I had as complete a list of pros and cons as possible.

I know why I DO use this method and I can think of some reasons others might not want to use it, but I'd like to hear the voices of community experience in order to create a useful article.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more.
I'm fairly new to deep litter, and I both like and dislike it. It does save work, and I've loved that this winter -- will probably pick DL method up again when next November rolls around. I have 2 tiny coops attached to a 32sf run most if them like to roost in at night, and my girls free range during the day ... so there's not a lot happening in the coops other than egg-laying and broody shenanigans. So really, there's generally not much to clean out each morning, and I feel like my chickens' feet stay cleaner when I scoop regularly. I've also noticed more dirty eggs than before -- those things were spotless when I scooped daily! I agree, though, that it does add warmth for the few who nest at night. When I scoop, I don't wind up with nearly the amount of bedding in there as when I deep litter.

I clean more frequently because chicken poop can be a source of infection for my chickens and for me or any friends or friends' kids who pick up the chickens. While being careful about washing hands and not tracking in chicken poop on your shoes can protect us humans, the chickens can't get away from it if their coop is not cleaned out regularly. If there is an outbreak of some disease in your flock, the disease-causing organisms can be spread through the litter. There will always be some pathogens present, but less is more!

I'm not going to try to change anyone's ways on this thread, but I must note that if done correctly Deep Bedding is bone dry at all times. Dry litter can't support bacterial growth so it's perfectly safe.

If it doesn't stay dry, that's another story. :)

No I do NOT use the deep-litter method because I can't keep it DRY! My stupid rooster (once named Lucy, now Lucifer) and my stupid Khaki Campbell duck both upend it within minutes of putting down a bowl of water. Apparently, neither species can do anything to control their feet! And yes, I have tried the standard red/white plastic waterers, which leak a whole gallon of fresh water over the entire 4x6' coop floor overnight.

This is why I will not have water inside the coop except when brooding chicks too young to go in and out.

I have my feed and water in their own shelter out in the pen.
View attachment 2537774

I'm putting together an article on using Deep Bedding in a small coop and wanted to make sure I had as complete a list of pros and cons as possible.

I know why I DO use this method and I can think of some reasons others might not want to use it, but I'd like to hear the voices of community experience in order to create a useful article.

Deep Bedding being defined as: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more.
Lazy.. till the Piper is due.

I have just read fifteen pages of a detail discussion on what we all do with chicken poop! I do not use a true deep litter method. It is the coldest part of winter right now and the the poop straw wood chips are a frozen lump. I keep adding straw and wood chips over the top of it. In the summer, I change my litter frequently because of mites. The hens do not co-operate with me about the dust bathing. They only dust bathe in dirt and if I add sand or DE to the spot, they abandon that spot and make a new one. I have bought three different sizes of pans so far nothing meets their discerning taste in sand spas. Deep litter for me doesn't really work for me because of the mites.

I have just read fifteen pages of a detail discussion on what we all do with chicken poop! I do not use a true deep litter method. It is the coldest part of winter right now and the the poop straw wood chips are a frozen lump. I keep adding straw and wood chips over the top of it. In the summer, I change my litter frequently because of mites. The hens do not co-operate with me about the dust bathing. They only dust bathe in dirt and if I add sand or DE to the spot, they abandon that spot and make a new one. I have bought three different sizes of pans so far nothing meets their discerning taste in sand spas. Deep litter for me doesn't really work for me because of the mites.
Amazingly no frozen lumps here.. single digit and subzero the past three weeks.. I no longer mix straw, suspect were your frozen lumps come from.. my experience. Just large or medium wood chips over poo. It's dry.. just dump it and let them spread it.. They do a fine job, nice and level. Better than me. Make sure your roof don't leak.. or your grade isn't adding water. As for dust bathing. I used too add a small child's plasic swimming pool I purchased from the dollar store. Filled it with 50lbs of DE and playbox sand.. They seemed to use it and not poo in it.. In the summer, they prefer dusting in the run outside.. Unless it's a wet spring through summer and fall.. It can go either way. Drought to Noah's Ark.. That's why grade is important. Last fall I dug a shovle deep compacted layer and added it to the raised bed garden as a top. Live on top of an old dune and former Indian village.. and loging camp. The things I and my Granddaughter find! I will till up the run to make water free.. Them little feet sure can make a hard pan in no time at all.. Puddles aren't cool in the chicken run.. and don't dry up for an extended period if ever, dependent the weather or not.. I don't do it often, can't if it is wet. Chickens don't mind the tiller except at first, then they get underfoot looking for worms and such.. Opportunist.. Mites don't seem to be a problem for me.. I've looked., don't know. Sour crop has been, feeding kitchen scraps with bread (yeast). No more bread, no more sour crop.. Quick fix was a table spoon of baking soda per gallon in the waterer.. one time and gone.. don't use regular as it will be an excess sodium issue. Best

I only have 4 hens so I clean their coop daily It only takes a couple of minutes.
I keep a good couple of inches of wood chips on the linoleum floor in the coup all year long.

With that said I DO a deep bed in the run area of the tractor. Once the chicken tractor is parked in its winter home I lay plastic down and using hay and or wood chips 4" thick across the run add to it as needed.

In the spring I move the tractor and drag the plastic with the waste to the compost pile

Back
Top Bottom