Why does my cuckoo marans look different from my others?

JulietsMomma

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
I have 5 cuckoo marans - bought at the same time. They’re around 4 months old now. The one in the back looks like a blue cuckoo marans to me and she’s identical to my others but the one here with the red band (Bertha) is so much darker. Is she considered a black cuckoo marans or something completely different? She has the feathered feet just like the others.

Thanks to everyone in advance :)

0FC06A5D-811A-4DBD-B47A-C93D15F65876.jpeg

The one in the back looks like a blue cuckoo marans to me and she’s identical to my others but the one here with the red band (Bertha) is so much darker.
None are cuckoo.. cuckoo is barred.. I see lacing. (common for the andalusian blue gene)

Maybe they are just black and blue (not copper) Marans?

ETA: that Bertha must be dark blue, not black.. Where from? possibly mislabeled?

Last edited:
None are cuckoo.. cuckoo is barred.. I see lacing. (common for the andalusian blue gene)

Maybe they are just black and blue (not copper) Marans?

ETA: that Bertha must be dark blue, not black.. Where from? possibly mislabeled?
They were from Rural King. Could have been mislabeled. They just said cuckoo marans on the bin. I’m newer to breeds so just trying to figure out what I have 😂

I have Blue Cuckoo Marans also. One is definitely darker. Even the face and comb is black. I call her 2 ton Tilly. Lol They are from Meyer Hatchery. They have no barring but females in blue can be without barring as per the hatchery.The front bird is my Blue Andalusian.

Attachments

• PXL_20230526_153754177.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230526_153754177.MP.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 33
  • FB_IMG_1664456319797.jpg
    FB_IMG_1664456319797.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I have Blue Cuckoo Marans also. One is definitely darker. Even the face and comb is black. They are from Meyer Hatchery. They have no barring but females can be without barring.The front bird is my Blue Andalusian.
Mine look just like yours and that makes sense! I believe that’s where Rural King gets their chicks from as well!

I have two blue cuckoo Marans also. Got mine from Ideal Poultry. Look identical to yours, one is dark blue almost black and the other is a grey. A cuckoo would be black & white barred, for some reason all the blue cuckoos I have seen online, all look laced. So it is highly probable that is what the hatchery considers a blue cuckoo…I thought they would be barred blue and white but have never seen a chicken that looks like that!

Here is a pic of my greyer “blue cuckoo”…she lays beautiful chocolate eggs, darker than my French Black Copper Marans:
1686186120911.jpeg

I have two blue cuckoo Marans also. Got mine from Ideal Poultry. Look identical to yours, one is dark blue almost black and the other is a grey. A cuckoo would be black & white barred, for some reason all the blue cuckoos I have seen online, all look laced. So it is highly probable that is what the hatchery considers a blue cuckoo…I thought they would be barred blue and white but have never seen a chicken that looks like that!

Here is a pic of my greyer “blue cuckoo”…she lays beautiful chocolate eggs, darker than my French Black Copper Marans:
View attachment 3533259
That makes so much sense! Here is a better picture of the coloring on mine.

Attachments

• 5881482C-63D7-407B-BAE9-34E44852B069.jpeg
    5881482C-63D7-407B-BAE9-34E44852B069.jpeg
    893 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom