Why does my hen's behind look like this?

nikkinewlin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
2 year old frizzled cochin bantam.
She has layed a few eggs covered with a small amount of blood
She is eating and drinking normally, energy level is good.
Her back end looks to be a little bit pushed out.... I don't know how to describe it.
Poop actually looks normal.
here is a picture.

Why is it like this? And what can I do to treat it?

I would think she might be eggbound. I found this for ya: http://www.keepingchickensnewsletter.com/site/egg-bound-chicken-symptoms-and-treatment, but a websearch for "eggbound" or similar should give you more info, as it's fairly commonplace. If she's not showing other signs of illness it could be likely. If so, the sooner you can take action the better.

She has been laying regularly, and I cant feel anything in there. She just layed me an egg this morning... Wouldn't that rule out eggbound?

My two year old dominique looks like that too. I was looking for answers also. She pulled her fluffy Butt feathers out a few weeks ago but seemed fine otherwise, however a few days she stayed inside the coop while all others were out free ranging also she seemed quite, usually vocal, and not much appetite. Today seems a little better, eating some but honey looks the same.

I would do an exam and compare her abdomen to another hen, see if there is any difference in how it feels. Mushy, solid, can feel internal organs, hold her up to ear see if you can hear abdominal noises. The gizzard will feel like a solid lump by her ribs, an egg will feel closer to her spine. If mushy may have fluid build up in abdomen (ascities) or she needs to be wormed.

I de wormed 2 weeks ago with Wazine. I dewormed today with Safeguard. I have inspected all of the chickens and have not found mites/lice or any other parasite on them. But I am going to be treating their run/coop in another week to prevent, because last year I had a bad mite infestation. I do not feel an egg in their. I did not hear any noises... I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing? I know with horses it is bad if you don't hear any digestion noises. It was kind of mushy feeling, and the other hens abdomens feel normal.

Back
Top Bottom