Why does the darn electricity have to fail!!!!

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
I posted a while back about setting 110 button eggs, 55 of mine and 55 that I bought. Well they finally started hatching the day before yesterday into yesterday. Unfortunately I only had one of the bought eggs hatch, but it does look to be a pied color variation..... I had 35 of my own eggs hatch. One thing though is my eggs had been sitting for quit a while so I didnt expect a full hatch.. I got them moved to a 10 gallon aquarium brooder and even though it was a little crowded they were doing great. Then last night we had a storm and of course after it was over is when we lost power. A couple times it flickered like it would come back on so I wasnt to worried. This was about 10:30. At 2:30 this morning I woke up to hear my babies crying and the power was till off. I threw on my robe and grabbed the flashlight and found that I had forgotten to take the waterer out and they were all in a corner soaking wet and cold. 2 had not made it and were already dead. I grabbed a blanket and scooped them all in and headed for the couch. I layed down and put them all on my chest so that they could warm with me.... I layed there cussing the REC until 3:45 when the power finally came back on. They were doing pretty good, I had only lost one other one at that time. I took them all to the bator room and put them back in the hatcher. I had left it on just in case one of the other button eggs was going to be a late hatcher. This morning I cleaned their brooder and went up to see the damage. I had only lost one other one. I now I am down to 32. The fella that I got egg from offered to send me more since the the others didnt hatch so hopefully I will get a few more this next hatch. As a warning to all, if you have brooder babies and the power goes out make sure you go and take the water out!!!! A lesson I learned the hard way. Jenn

Wow Jen, I'm so sorry...I've had the power go out twice now this past year with eggs in the incubators and brooder boxes so I know how you are feeling....

I'm so sorry. I'll remember that to take the water out if the power fails here. We have had it flicker on and off but knock on wood not go out all the way when I had hour old chicks. On a happy note I have 5 buttons running around from the eggs I got from you and they are doing very well and growing so fast. I am hoping some are male and some are female. Is there a certain way to tell by their coloring or do you just wait and see?

I am glad you got some babies!! You will have to wait until they feather out to tell the males from the females. The males will have little white bibs under their chins.. Of course if they feather out white or light silver grey you probably will have to wait to see if they are on the top or bottom..lol I will hopefully have some more pieds hatch from the extra eggs I am getting and have them start laying and have those to offer too. Jenn

Thanks Tuff, nothing is more heart breaking then having a pile of baby button crying constantly because they are cold.. I am really shocked I didnt loose mores since they are so tiny!!! I will post pics this afternoon. Jenn

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
for awnsering my question. Once again sorry for you loss:(
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom