Why Ducks?

PATOS

Songster
Jan 1, 2019
answer in your reply if you want to participate-

I have thought about how i got here with more than 50 ducks and plans on many many more....
for us ducks = food/money/learning/sustainable agribusiness>> we are gonna make duck egg quiche and sell them all over Chile and the world!!!
our plan is to give a good life to every duck we raise!

Why ducks? I’m not sure that my reasons are as good as yours. I’ve just always loved ducks. A few years ago, my husband and I moved to a place with a big empty barn. We decided we couldn’t have an EMPTY barn, and we weren’t yet ready for large farm animals. Then, 2 years ago, it came to our attention that someone who knew someone who knew a family member of ours needed to rehome some supposedly “wild” ducks. The story was that they just needed shelter and some food. It turns out, the ducks, Daphne (Rouen) and Margie (Pekin), were the two lone survivors of a horrible Fisher attack. Wild, they were NOT. Anyways, we wanted to help and we had room, so there we go! Margie has since passed, but Daphne is still going strong, now with 2 Muscovy sisters.

I feel less strange having 3 random ducks as everyone on our (rural) road has a random assortment of animals, from a goat or two here to a flock of sheep, some chickens, and an elderly cow and donkey duo there.

I guess, the question should be why NOT ducks?

That being said, I do, occasionally, question my decision when it is far below freezing outside, I’m comfy INSIDE, and I have to drag myself out into the arctic temps to clean duck crap and break ice. :hmm

I found a home for this beautiful guy, but that can't last. I will need to face processing if I want to hatch. I love hatching. I talk to the eggs every day and get very sweet ducklings. But the drakes......
I would love to try hatching, but as you said: Drakes…
And i won't be able to slaughter and even less able to eat ducks that i have raised.

Back
Top Bottom