Nimanami

Hatching
Jul 26, 2020
australia
hello guys,

I'm quite new to here, but I've used to come here for various reasons quite a few times, but I have never found anyone talking about any type of duck not laying. Most of the time, the topics that cover this seem to be about ducks that are still too young to lay but never about a one-year-old duck.

I'm not even sure what breed she is because she doesn't match any of the breeds that I can find online, and yes, I am 100% sure my duck is a female and not a male. I have added a picture of her in case some of you guys can tell what breed she is. In the attached photos, she's the cream coloured one that's slightly smaller than the other two muscovies. When I got her, I got her as a "Pekin" duck. I knew she wasn't a Pekin when I saw her, but I still decided to get her because she was cute. She was also about five months old when I got her (according to the person I got her from). It's been about six months since then, so, she should technically be laying right now, but she's not, not even once (maybe once but I'm not too sure). I didn't get her for the egg; I got her as a pet after one of my muscovies decided to take a vacation by flying out of my backyard. My other muscovy lays just fine, and they hang out together all the time, so she's not alone.

photo_2020-07-26_19-44-21 (2).jpg
photo_2020-07-26_19-44-20.jpg
photo_2020-07-26_19-44-22.jpg

she does not seem to be sick, because she enjoys swimming and she constantly preens herself. she also runs around at times and even tried to fly a bit. she does enjoy napping all the time but she isn't lethargic. She also does get a bit vocal at times which I like because my muscovies are so quiet.

I feed them ducks chicken layer pellets most of the time because I couldn't find any stores selling waterfowl feeds in Australia. I also give them wheat grains alongside their pellets because I read ducks need more of a specific nutrient (can't remember the name) and wheat is a good source for them to get it.

So, I kind of fail to understand why she's not laying, and I'm hoping some of you guys have some answers that may help me to find out about something that I may be missing. I really hope it's nothing serious.

Attachments

• photo_2020-07-26_19-44-21 (3).jpg
    photo_2020-07-26_19-44-21 (3).jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo_2020-07-26_19-44-21.jpg
    photo_2020-07-26_19-44-21.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 6
Have you checked around your yard? I thought the same thing with my duck, turns out she was laying under a bush. :D
hey, yea, I checked everywhere (quite literally). I even tried to check under the big aloe vera bush just in case she went under there somehow, and nope, nothing. I learned to check all the hidden places after finding my muscovy hiding them in the most absurd places haha.

She's very pretty. I would definitely say late bloomer. Perhaps the previous owner was mistaken about her age. Or maybe she has a REALLY good hiding spot 😉

hehe, yea, that's why I got her, she's really cute.

I guess I'll look around the backyard one more time but more thoroughly. Hopefully, I'll find a big clutch of eggs in some random hidden place and then proceed to be annoyed at my duck.

I’m wondering if she’s actually older then 1? My older Cayuga went broody in June last year and she didn’t lay again until January of this year. So over 7 months. How well do you know the person who you got her from?

Back
Top Bottom