why have both my orpingtons stopped laying....at the same time??

crazycluck86

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
uk
Hi,I hope someone can help! I keep a mixed flock of brahmas, faverolles and orpingtons. Recently both my orpingtons have stopped laying a single egg! They are let out at 8am and as its now summer in the UK they don't go to bed until 9pm! They are fed good quality layers pellets and mixed corn in the afternoon,I also mix in poultry spice/vitamins. They have been wormed and are otherwise in lovely clean condition. Any ideas? They are just over 12 months old and since coming in to lay have never missed a single day laying until now-so odd they have both stopped!?

No they arnt moulting, and I wormed them with flubenvet about a month ago. I usually do it every 3 months because they free range on the same ground. I'm clueless as to why they have both stopped, very odd lol

No signs of illness at all,no mites/lice....nothing. They are as greedy as ever. So strange I don't understand it

No, they are out in the back garden and its all pretty open apart from the area they have dust baths and there's nothing there. Maybe they are being too greedy and that's got something to do with them not laying?

Im in the uk and out of my 5 girls only 2 are laying, the other 3 have stopped, there not ill or moulting and no lice, they are all eating normally and acting normally buy have stopped laying, mine are the same as yours, they free range and I have already found all there secret nests, and I am 100% sure there isn't any where they could lay that I wouldn't find

A lot of people have said how poor orpingtons are for egg laying,but I have to say ours have been fab-until now! Maybe they are to posh to push lol! We have a cockerel but he's got 18 girls to keep him busy and they don't seem bothered by him at all (we've had him a while)no loss of feathers etc he's a gentleman.

Back
Top Bottom