Why have chickens?

cowhlb

Songster
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Virginia
Chickens are a wonderful addition to have! I would suggest (If you don't have any) getting a couple of chickens to add to your backyard or farm!

Here are some pros and cons of having them:
Pros:
-You get eggs! Who doesn't love them?
-Meat (If you cull them.)
-They are just a beautiful animal to look at!
-They will entertain you!
-They can also be a great source of education.
-They could be your best friend!
-They live longer than you would think.
- They don't die at the drop of a hat.

Cons:
-They smell
-Dust
-The cost of getting feed and a coop.
-Behavior Problems
-Predators

They are better than PROZAC! Have a bad day or feel in the "dumps", just come home, spend time watching them, visiting them, and the world is so much more FUN!

Pros:

- They will follow you around the yard like a dog and love "hanging out" with you.

Cons:

- No matter how much chicken produced "organic fertilizer" I step in out in the back yard, I don't seem to grow any taller.
tongue.png

They are better than PROZAC! Have a bad day or feel in the "dumps", just come home, spend time watching them, visiting them, and the world is so much more FUN!
I couldn't agree with you more! I have never experienced so many different personalities and enjoyed watching them interact with both our family and each other. I adore my chickens and could not imagine not hearing the crow of our rooster, Chester, ever morning and the hens showing off when they lay an egg with their chatter. The positives so so so outweigh the negatives!

All the pros listed above!

Only con, for me, is finding good care for them when we go out of town. Can't board them like a dog. Pet sitters typically don't know their way around chickens (but can be trained $$). Other chicken people may pose a bio-contamination risk.

Pros:

- They will follow you around the yard like a dog and love "hanging out" with you.

Cons:

- No matter how much chicken produced "organic fertilizer" I step in out in the back yard, I don't seem to grow any taller.
tongue.png

I couldn't agree with you more! I have never experienced so many different personalities and enjoyed watching them interact with both our family and each other. I adore my chickens and could not imagine not hearing the crow of our rooster, Chester, ever morning and the hens showing off when they lay an egg with their chatter. The positives so so so outweigh the negatives!

All the pros listed above!

Only con, for me, is finding good care for them when we go out of town. Can't board them like a dog. Pet sitters typically don't know their way around chickens (but can be trained $$). Other chicken people may pose a bio-contamination risk.
celebrate.gif
goodpost.gif
thumbsup.gif
smile.png

HEY HEY, they dont smell if you keep them clean!!! ;) Well, the poop does but just keep them and your coop clean. Here are some more pros and cons.

Pro:
The chicken poop is great for lawn or garden
If they are allowed to free range, they make great pest control
They are just awesome
They will make you laugh

Cons:
You can never have too many
My dad wont let me get more :( .......... yet!!!

Last edited:
HEY HEY, they dont smell if you keep them clean!!! ;) Well, the poop does but just keep them and your coop clean. Here are some more pros and cons.

Pro:
The chicken poop is great for lawn or garden
If they are allowed to free range, they make great pest control

Cons:
You can never have too many
My dad wont let me get more :( .......... yet!!!
Thanks for the comment!

Back
Top Bottom