why have my chickens quit laying

I was up to 24 eggs per day out of 28 hens, changed the level of feed because I culled a few roos and older hens and found layers and layers of fat. As soon as I changed the amount of feed for these (free rangers) hens, my egg production dropped to 11!

I upped the feed but egg production really fluctuated and it was a slow gain. I culled 4 hens for nonlaying after a day of 11 eggs~the next day I got 23, the day after 22, out of 24 hens!

Every time I kill a few for nonlaying the production goes up quickly......coincedence? I think not!
big_smile.png
lau.gif

It could be your breed, your feed, the temps....I've found that any number of things seem to affect egg-laying performance.

Some old tried and true things like adding cayenne pepper to their feed may help, if there are no other factors.
hu.gif

Mine have been on this food for at least 4 mos, even when I switched food before the egg production eased up only for like 10-14 days. We have been having real spring weather now. I think it is because they get to free range so much. they aren't barely eating the pellets... Arne't worms high protein for them?
I have 16 hens and was getting 12-13 eggs a day.
Another quetstion, can chickens molt at different times?
I have one hen who looks scraggley and she kepps getting in her box sit, then gets out ckucks her head off and nothings in the box..
I have felt her for an egg in her under belly ,nothing.
Will you fell the egg? I felt her ribs and sqeezed her belly but didn't feel anything.
barnie.gif

You can don a latex glove and insert your finger into the vent, if they are laying you should feel the shape and hardness of an egg if they are laying every day. Even if they have layed earlier, there should be one more in the shute, so to speak.

Each chicken has their own hormonal rhythms and can molt at different times.

About free ranging....mine free range sunup to sundown on some very rich forage, but they still eat their feed and still lay, so I don't think it could be free ranging.

I don't remember if you had mentioned or not, but have you looked for outside nests? They are very clever with their hidey holes and hidden nests, I've found. It seems when one starts this, they all want to lay in that nest, so its like an insurrection! I found a nest from last year that had 16 eggs in it....all rotten to the core!

Also...check for black snakes robbing your nests. Very slick and can eat quite a few eggs. So can rats.

I know I will do the vent thing tommorow. I hope I do it right.
should i use KY jelly? I don't want to hurt her:confused:
I look all day for the nests. No rats or snakes. I haven't even seen mice yet. I do clean it out about every 2-3 mos.
Do you know anything about using DE in the coop?

I was getting 8 , today I got 10 ok actually 9 I left one out there last night. I am going to be playing Doctor tom. yeahh fun examining chicken buttsthumbsup

Doing somewhat better. Getting about 9-11 a day. Been rewatering in the evening and giving just a tiny bit more food so they've been getting food and fresh water twice a day. Was that they key? Who knows? But I'm gonna keep up what I'd doing, seems to be working.

I seem to be doing a little bit better as well, had 6 eggs when I got home from work. Still not as good as it should be, but better.
We just quit giving so many fresh veggies...seem to have helped, but if that is what it was I would be suprised. I don't know.
idunno.gif

I have the same problem, I have had 1 egg in a month, I have seen where 2 had been eaten and I check on them 3-5 times a day, I was feeding them 24% protein layer pellets and decided that in over 2 months of not getting eggs, I changed to the cheaper 15% pellets, I am giving them a couple more weeks and then in the freezer, I really hope that they will start laying again, they all have great dispotion and easly handled but am getting tired of spending on feed.

Back
Top Bottom