Why is it bad for silkies to have red combs

Feb 13, 2024
I recently bought 6 silkies from a friend. They were supposed to be two breeding trios. With two roosters and four hens. But I’m thinking it’s three roosters and three hens. I posted on a silkie group on Facebook to see what other peoples opinions were and several people pointed out that my silkies have red combs, and that I should not breed them for show or as pets. My question is why is it so bad for them to have red combs? They have black skin, five toes and feathered feet and other than the red combs are beautiful.

Its because it dosent follow SOP. Silkies are supposed to have black to mulberry colored combs, blue ear lobes, black skin, black shanks, black bones, and 5 toes and no vulture hocks. If you did decide to sell chicks from your silkies you whould have to sell them as pet quality. what color are your silkies? Cuckoo and mottled will have red combs as there still project colors.

several people pointed out that my silkies have red combs, and that I should not breed them for show or as pets. My question is why is it so bad for them to have red combs? They have black skin, five toes and feathered feet and other than the red combs are beautiful.
If you want to breed good quality Silkies, that look the way the breed is supposed to look, then having red combs is bad because the combs are not supposed to be red. A red comb is just as bad as a "Silkie" that is missing the extra toes, or missing the crest on the head, or is wrong in any other way.

If you want to breed them for pets for your own personal enjoyment, then feel free to breed chickens with any traits you like. If you want to breed them and then sell the chicks, you should be clear about what you are selling (cute fluffy birds that look almost like good Silkies, but the combs are not the color Silkies are supposed to have.)

I recently bought 6 silkies from a friend. They were supposed to be two breeding trios. With two roosters and four hens. But I’m thinking it’s three roosters and three hens. I posted on a silkie group on Facebook to see what other peoples opinions were and several people pointed out that my silkies have red combs, and that I should not breed them for show or as pets. My question is why is it so bad for them to have red combs? They have black skin, five toes and feathered feet and other than the red combs are beautiful.
So what do I do with them?

Back
Top Bottom