Why is my Pekin duck "sneezing"?

It was $2.70 for 3 one gram packets. With it being twice as potent as the liquid I know she won't nee near as much. I've never been good with math though lol. I can either dissolve in distilled water or sprinkle it on some bread, I'm just not sure if it should be 1/2 a packet or 1/3 or less or more? I hate to keep bugging the vet, she's already done me a HUGE favor just getting this for me..
If it was only $2.70 I say that's fine, keep it.

One package of Panacur = 222mg
2.22 ml of Safeguard liquid = 222mg

Make sense?

If she weighs 5 pounds she should get about 1/2 a pack for five days, but if your vet said to give one whole pack for three day, that might also work.

-Kathy

Ok, I will give her 1/2 pack for 5 days to get anything else she might having living in her lol. I'll dissolve it in some distilled water and give it to her orally. The Baytril I was advised to give by injection. She told me 1/2cc once a day for 4 days. I have two 2- 1cc syringes with the Baytril and 4 teeny tiny needles. I'm comfortable giving injections but have never given one to a bird, any advice?

Ok, I will give her 1/2 pack for 5 days to get anything else she might having living in her lol. I'll dissolve it in some distilled water and give it to her orally. The Baytril I was advised to give by injection. She told me 1/2cc once a day for 4 days. I have two 2- 1cc syringes with the Baytril and 4 teeny tiny needles. I'm comfortable giving injections but have never given one to a bird, any advice?
Did she say to give in the muscle or under the skin?

-Kathy

She did not, so I will check on that. As far as I can tell it's generally given in the muscle and the injectable can be given orally.
Orally or in the breast muscle is how I do it. Here is a picture that shows how:

In mammals we can give the shot in the leg, but in birds it's supposed to be given in the upper 2/3 of the breast muscle do to them having a renal shunt. Might be best if you could get some help giving the shots... Have someone hold her on her back, wet her feathers with rubbing alcohol. This is not done to clean the area, it's done so that you can part the feathers and down to expose the injection site. Make sense? Injections are given at a sharp angle, not straight in.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I can definitely get help holding her. The angle looks similar to the angle I would use giving an IV shot to a horse. I'm assuming there should be a quick draw on the needle to make sure a blood vessel hasn't been hit?

I can definitely get help holding her. The angle looks similar to the angle I would use giving an IV shot to a horse. I'm assuming there should be a quick draw on the needle to make sure a blood vessel hasn't been hit?
Duh, forgot to mention the draw back! And you're correct, same angle as IV in horses.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

If you can find a way, get some pictures of you giving the shot, 'cause I don't think anyone in the duck forum has ever posted one, and it might be helpful to someone wanting to learn.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom