Why is my rooster in the nest box?

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
14 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
My little GLW was in a nest box (still is). I thought it was sweet that my rooster stood close to the nest box roost, talking to her (encouraging her I assumed). Well then he climbs in and sits down next to her, still talking, then moves back behind her and starts burrowing down in the nest. I'm thinking "Hey ?????" Daisy (GLW) evidently is overcrowded, so she gets out and moves over to the next nest box. The rooster keeps burrowing down in "his" nest box, and is making little sounds like the hens make (rough purring?) when they're encouraging or content. He's not sitting on the fake egg I have in there, because it was shoved out of the way when he kept burrowing down. I snapped a pic of them after she moved over to the other box. I'm heading back out to see what happens next.
But is this behavior common? What's he doing?

37862_march30_018.jpg

I have a rooster that gets in the nesting box and just sits. He does this every day that I see him on the weekend. He will sit in the nesting box for about an hour, then he gets out. I have no idea why he does this.
idunno.gif

I would love to hear what the experts have to say about this behavior.
pop.gif

My rooster did that 1 time, then my meanest hen pecked him in the face and he hasnt gotten back in since.For mine though the reason he got in was bc he was just doing what the girls do everyday lol.

Well, that was kind of bizarre. I just hit send on my original post when I hear a horrible chicken racket outside. I run out and hear my rooster cackling LOUDLY, which sounds exactly like an "I JUST LAID AN EGG!!! rant/cackle, walking around outside the coop. So I go inside, and sure enough, Daisy had laid an egg...and it's got to be a double yolker. This is the same chicken that I've wondered if her eggs would ever make it up to medium size, because they've been so small (started laying about 6 weeks ago). I know this sounds goofy, but it's like he could feel that she was struggling with this or something, because he's never been THAT attentive or reactionary when my girls have laid. I'm glad I was home to watch this today
smile.png

That's so sweet. I want a rooster! I want a rooster. If I ever get to live someplace more rural, I'm gonna get at least one rooster for my girls.

Perhaps he was getting in touch with his feminine side?
wink.png

I love the idea he was encouraging her with a big egg. Sounds like a lovely rooster.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom