why is my rooster so mean HELP!

In my own limited experience with hybrid production bred layers, the roosters have been consistenly some of the most aggressive and meanest I've ever run into, both with humans, and rough with the hens. Even in breeds/lines in which the hens are very docile and sweet.

I have hybrid layers so they lay every day - I feed the eggs back to the hens! They love them and it makes their feathers beautiful :) No I won't have another rooster, unless it is an exceptional rooster. I only ended up with that one because I saved him from the pot as a cockeral, but he was particularly bad, I haven't come across a roo as mean as him before.

I am not knocking your advice in any way, just pointing out that in several instances, people were being neutral when their rooster aggression began.

Quote:

That is an idea, Hyline! I could feed my excess eggs to my rooster! He already has beautifully shiny feathers, but I'll bet he'd love the eggs. I worry about feeding him laying mash, since he's a roo, and it has more calcium in it than he needs, and it's hard to get him to eat only the grower feed, which has less calcium, because he's in with the hens, with access to their laying mash, and he finds it tastier. If I fed him eggs separately, maybe he wouldn't eat as much layer mash? Thanks for the great idea!

this has been an interesting thread. my first ever chicks are just now 4 wks old. i'm sure i've got a rooster or two or three in the bunch. i'm hoping to keep one. i'm thinking it will be the bo. rooster aggression has been a concern of mine. a neighbor has brahmas & the rooster is GIGANTIC! if that thing went after me i would run like crazy, then come back with an equalizer.
i don't equate dominate with aggression. sometimes they are the same, sometimes it is an understanding between two animals. my male german shepherd is an alpha male no doubt. since he has been a baby it has been his goal in life to climb the social ladder in this pack to the top. until his or my last breath that will be his goal. it doesn't result in battles (other than will sometimes), but despite being a pet - he does live his life according to his instincts.
i would imagine roosters are quite similar.
i chose bo as the possible rooster after reading they are more inclinded to be calm. hope it works out that way.

BJ,

I have often wondered whether my sweet, gentle, tame rooster is part Buff Orpington. That is what I have thought from the start, but I think he also has EE in him. My avatar shows a picture of him at about 9 weeks, I think it was. He's much bigger now and gorgeous.

He may be part EE/Araucana.

I do think part of the reason he's so tame is because he lives in the solarium at night, and I carry him out to the girls in the morning and then carry him back in the solarium at night, so he's very used to my touch.

He is exhibiting some very chivalrous/gentlemanly behavior of late. He has always been a chowhound, but when I feed him his fresh organic greens with the hens, he stands back and lets them pick the choicest morsels out for themselves! If I offer him a piece of endive or radiccio, he will certainly snarf it, but he doesn't hog in and steal food from the girls. I am pleased he has such fine manners! I have read that some roosters do this, and I didn't know whether my boy would be one of these well behaved roosters or not, but he is! I am just thrilled.

Raising a rooster by hand has certainly had a lot of rewards. And it was just by chance. Had he not gotten badly pecked by his StepMama when he was born, I would never have done so. It was a lot of work, but the payoffs are great.

If any of my girls should die, and I hope they don't, I will think about hatching eggs he has fertilized, to replace the hens. He has such a sweet personality that I would just love to propagate his genes.

In my own limited experience with hybrid production bred layers, the roosters have been consistenly some of the most aggressive and meanest I've ever run into, both with humans, and rough with the hens. Even in breeds/lines in which the hens are very docile and sweet.

That's very interesting, and I tend to agree - have come across several pure breed roos that are nothing like satan's son that I had. It makes sense though, I guess, when you consider that they aren't breeding roos in production circumstances for anything other than pet food (poor things) as the hens are what they are after. So the roos might be the 'bad eggs' pardon the pun.

That is an idea, Hyline! I could feed my excess eggs to my rooster! He already has beautifully shiny feathers, but I'll bet he'd love the eggs. I worry about feeding him laying mash, since he's a roo, and it has more calcium in it than he needs, and it's hard to get him to eat only the grower feed, which has less calcium, because he's in with the hens, with access to their laying mash, and he finds it tastier. If I fed him eggs separately, maybe he wouldn't eat as much layer mash? Thanks for the great idea!

No worries! :) I also add one or two into my horse's feeds for coat condition and extra protein - they look marvellous too lol.

I have had this with Roos becoming mean when they got older. There is really no cure. There are mean ones and nice ones. I have a three year old Ameracuana we call the Gentleman Rooster because he is so friendly and good to the hens. But I have had others that were just down right mean and would spur or flog you every time they had a chance. These type of roosters get sold to my friends who put them on the table.

Roosters get aggressive towards people that they see as a threat. Pretty much he thinks he is top dog and anything in his domain is below him, including any people, pets or wildlife that venture too close.

Some science people have supposedly done tests when studying the social structure of other animals and found that roosters respond to the noise people make. It could sound to the rooster that you are challenging him by talking. Also any shoes thrown his way (whether encasing a foot or not) will be seen confrontation and can only make him more aggressive in the future. This of course means he will be more likely to attack, which creates an increasingly dangerous circle until you send him to the great hen-house in the sky.

The best way is to be as quiet as you can when going near your chooks (i myself like to talk to mine so i know it can be hard not to) and backing down from any challenges your rooster might issue. This can be vocal or posture positioning so keep an eye out. Letting him think he is boss will keep both of you safe, but you will always know who is REALLY top dog
cool.png

Very interesting about the noise research regarding roosters, Just Because! I had not seen that. Could you tell me where I can find it to read for myself? Thank you for sharing it. This could explain why many roos seem to react badly to males-- the deep, high testosterone loud male voices may rattle the roosters, whereas the softer voice of a female may not be perceived as as much of a threat.

I just finished an excellent book I'd like to recommend WINGING IT by Jenny Gardiner. I loved it, and it is full of wisdom. Granted, it is about parrots, but rooster owners may find it quite applicable, as well.

Back
Top Bottom