Why is my turkey laying eggs again after hatch?

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
is this normal? she's sitting on a nest of eggs AND her chicks, but that will be problematic soon, right? She started laying about 4 days after the first batch hatched.

(She was double-nesting with a second turkey originally).

Last edited:
ive never heard of a turkey hen starting to lay after hatching.mine hatched 12 poults about 3wks ago.an she isnt laying yet.she is raising her poults.

I have a hen turkey that will stop laying for a short time while sitting on eggs then she will sart to lay again while sitting on the eggs, she is doing it now, she has a nest of eggs and still is laying. She does it every year and now her daughters are doing the same thing. They are black spanish and all of the hens have beards and they strut around right beside the toms. None of the other breeds that Ive had done this, just the black spanish...............

Why yes they would hatch, they would still be fertile. I mark the eggs that she is sitting on so I know which egg was laid that day and take that egg out of the nest. When the hen gets off the nest to eat and drink, the tom will still mate with her. .................

I have a hen turkey that will stop laying for a short time while sitting on eggs then she will sart to lay again while sitting on the eggs, she is doing it now, she has a nest of eggs and still is laying. She does it every year and now her daughters are doing the same thing. They are black spanish and all of the hens have beards and they strut around right beside the toms. None of the other breeds that Ive had done this, just the black spanish...............
I have a broad breasted bronze hen that keeps laying eggs after nesting. She now has 30 eggs

Back
Top Bottom