Why is the area where you live/your town so special?

CoyoteMagic said: Have you ever seen Champ???!!!

Not yet, but I always keep my eyes pealed
ep.gif
whenever we go out in the boat!!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Well living in the Boston area means there is tons history to trip over virtually everywhere, but I do think it's kinda cool that I live within 20 miles of the birthplaces of 4 US presidents (John F. Kennedy-Brookline MA, George H.W. Bush-Milton MA, John Adams- Quincy, MA and John Quincy Adams-Quincy, MA).

Phyllis

What makes Apple Valley, CA unique is that was the home town for Roy Rogers and Dale Evans throughout their entire careers until their deaths and both are buried in a local cememtery. The largest highway here is named Happy Trails, there is a Roy Rogers Drive and Dale Evans Parkway. They built the Apple Valley Inn where several "Hollywood" parties were held in the 40's and 50's. The Apple Valley Inn is now a bunch of individual businesses but the structures have not be moved or changed in any way. There is a ton of movie history here in our town.

Unfortunately, it has grown to the point where a shooting is not a surprise. However, for us die hards, it remains a horse town with a western history.

Quote:
I remember there was some kind of susense /creepy movie that mention Bartow Fl and some other little towns.We used to live down there and it creeped me out.

was that "Palmetto" with woody harleson and elizabeth shue?

Alaska is cool cause its the last frontier..... and it just snowed amost a foot and a half yesterday!!!! that makes alaska COOL!!!

I am not sure , i think it was Lake Placid.

I've got a few:

Appleton has Harry Houdini, Willem Dafoe (actor), Greta Van Susteren (Fox news), and the country's first enclosed shopping mall (most of which was just torn down, except for the movie theater.)
Also a very short drive to historic, beloved Lambeau Field and the Packers, which is the only NFL team owned by the fans (waiting list for tickets is 35 years.)

My hometown of Eagle River is the Snowmobile Capitol of the world, has the longest chain of inland lakes in the world, and has the first indoor ice rink built in Wisconsin (all wood, shaped like a dome, very neat building.) And its just gorgeous up there.

I love East Texas - Palestine ...... We have Dogwood Trails in the spring, the woods are beautiful, awash with white dogwood and redbud trees. Just an explosion of color every where you go! We are also home to the Texas State Railroad.....This is an old steam train that still makes a round trip through our beautiful woods! It has been used in many movies, has Mystery dinner theatre, and a Polar Express event each Christmas season.........We have the Gus Engeling wildlife refuge, complete with trails, and beaver ponds......we are within short driving distance of Canton, home of the worlds largest trades days,first monday of the month, over 200 acres of flea markets. There is what is known as Dog Alley or dogtown, this is where they sell hounds and every other breed of dog you can imigine,Chickens, and most other poultry your hearts desire. Cows, horses, goats, pigs, turtles, sugar gliders and most other pets you can think of. There is just no way to see it all in one day!.......... If its a job you are looking for, Texas Dept of Corrections is hiring! We have 5 Prisons, one of which I live on the grounds of. My animals are 1 mile down the road. I have enjoyed this, Thanks for asking. Micah

Interesting thread and neat to read everyone's replies.

Well..hmm..lets see - everything Miss Prissy said and more. Virginia is just historic no matter where you go in it. In my area you have Patrick Henry, Dabney Carr, and Thomas Jefferson (Patrick Henry's house is just a bit down the road actually)....

Civil war battlefields are everywhere and I've grown up on them as have my kids (my dad was a civil war buff). Not one battlefield I havent visited. My house was built before the war, lasted through the war and encampments all around the property, and is still standing. (we love it
wink.png
)

We've had the most presidents come from Virginia than any other state.

I grew up in Ferry Farms, which was all property owned by George Washington's family and right down the road (1 mile) from George Washington's boyhood home (yes - where he cut down the cherry tree
big_smile.png
) and played there as a kid before the gov't bought the property and restored it. My mom still lives there so I go often. I had friends that lived in the only house that was left standing on the property back in the 80's so we used to run all around old' George's stomping ground. My kids have both gone there and done articheological digs and helped discover many things there (you have to turn it over to the archeologists but the fun of finding things from the 17th and 18th century is beyond compare).

Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown - need I say more?
smile.png

Yes, it is very interesting hearing about the different places! I would love to live on an island or in civil war era house in West Virginia.
Hanny, have you read the book Or Give Me Death? I read it about 5 years ago, but it was very interesting, a fictional book about Petrick Henry and his family, and his mentally ill wife.

Edited for typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I come from a teeny tiny town between Vandalia, Greenville, and north of Keyesport. Abraham Lincoln practiced law in Vandalia for a few years, Greenville has an old home with a monument to the fact he held a debate there with one of his opponents. We have Cox Monument over by Pocahontas, Illinois (yes, where Gretchen Wilson came from) where a civil war battle took place, if memory serves me right. Keyesport is home or can take partial claim to the infamous Carlyle Lake. People come from miles and miles to boat and camp there. We aren't quite as illustrious as some, but every little bit of history all blends to make us what we are today, don't you agree?

Well lets see I live in a villiage so the next biggest place is Chillicothe....
Chillicothe is known as The Home of Sliced Bread. On July 7, 1928, the Chillicothe Baking Company began selling pre-sliced bread "at quality grocers in the area" marking the first time sliced bread was available commercially anywhere in the world.

Back
Top Bottom