Why is there such a bias against hatcheries?

The thing is most of us have jobs, kids, other things to worry about in life.. We don't have time/attention to pick and choose hatchery birds that can take years to finally find a good flock rather then ordering from a breeder that took half the time.

Well, I am one of the few that am breeding toward the SOP but my base birds were hatchery stock. I did buy from one of the smaller hatcheries and did get some better quality heritage stock mixed with production stock in my breed. We farm here and free range only but I also feed once a day. I chose my breed based on what I wanted and needed here. My hens do lay in winter and I have hens that I have had for over 3 years still laying.

I will never show for various reasons. But that does not mean I am not improving the body type on my birds. We do butcher our extra roosters and I do sell local some but not much. I do this for me it is my hobby. What I get back from my chickens is 4 fold. They get rid of bugs, grubs ect, they provide eggs, fertilizer and compost their breeding for the garden. Now they also food us and our dog plus extra eggs go to fed them us and our pigs and a few neighbors.

For someone just looking for a variety of chickens that will not show hatcheries are the best source. You most likely will not find a big variety of locally bred chickens from a breeder unless they have alot of land. Coops take alot of space. If you go to a show you will find more variety but they will be more costly also. It is all relative. Many here on BYC have hatchery stock and only buy from them. Some only buy from breeders for that is what they want. I would also not say there is a bias here on BYC. It all depends what thread you read and who is posting.

Most hatcheries treat the newborn chicks like they have no feelings:
Also, some people are against them because they believe that baby chicks should be hatched and raised by a broody and grow up naturally.

That's understandable by your example. There are those who like the idea of getting healthy chicks and raising them free from the industrial environment. Some chicks bought from a hatchery and given a chance at the good life is rewarding. Lots of folks incubate eggs in house which is not natural either though. Since Marek's disease is a common problem nationally, this gives them a chance to vaccinate chicks before entering the free world in the yard and on range, thus limiting mortality. Hatch chicks the "natural' way you suggest versus the other, and see the difference in mortality rate.

I am probably one of the people who is biased against hatcheries and. I have just one point.

here is a hatchery "buff Orpington" it is small, thin and doesn't show the true U shape

here is one of my own buff Orpington cockerels (not a particularly brilliant one but he shows the main points)

He has the standard U shape and is very big

The difference is obvious and in my opinion the first bird should not be called a buff Orpington because it doesn't show any of the breed characteristics it may as well be a cross breed hen.

Sure the hatchery birds will lay more but who knows what other breeds have gone into them. The fact that hatchery birds are sold as pure bred angers me because they obviously aren't; they are bred on a huge scale for production because that is what will make the hatcheries money.

Most good breeders will not loose all the key characteristics of their breed like size for meat or egg production but they will do this at the same time as improving their chickens to meet the standards, which in my opinion are vital to the conservation of pure bred poultry.

If you just want eggs get hatchery birds but don't expect any good quality birds.

It's funny that you should say that because it is not rarity that makes them bad egg layers but how they have been bred that leads to both raitity and poor egg laying 

Rochesters hatchery -- I can't say I would ever recommend them. 

My mentor out in BC has started a hatchery - I can tell you she has some of the most productive birds that could be found. She went and met with the 'father' of modern poultry breeding. She learned a lot and her birds represent that. Hatcheries are the perfect place for people who want good quality birds. But you can define quality in many ways. 

Well that was weird! It didn't let me type anything just went ahead and posted! Sorry everyone!
I was just going to ask which hatchery this was, I live in bc and have decided to try hatchery birds for the first time for biosecurity reasons.

This is a very interesting topic by the way. I really can't comment on hatcheries as this will be my first time trying one. As you may have guessed; however, I have had bad experiences with a breeder. Partially my own fault for not using a "sacrifice bird" during quarantine. Lesson learned! It did lead me to start asking breeders about their biosecurity practises and was very disappointed. Not at all saying I have a problem with breeders. We just don't have anything like NPIP certification in Canada and I can't find a breeder who occasionally tests their birds so I'm going to try hatchery stock.

I'm one of the people who is unhappy with hatchery birds. I've only had 26 hatchery birds and have had and I've had to many have heart, reproductive, and temperament issues. 9 out of 26 is not good odds. I've not had any issues with the ameraucanas or silkies I've gotten from breeders.

I'll never get another hatchery rock again. Out of 6, two were so aggressive to me and other birds that I had to cull them not long after point of lay. I was able to reform the other two with slight aggression issues. Then I lost one to a heart attack and two to internal laying. Another survived the internal laying this last summer. She was very sick and I thought I'd have to put her down. She survived and I watch her closely. She doesn't lay anymore, but has been a friendly bird since a chick.

For my laying flock I've been crossing an ameraucana rooster over my best laying hatchery EEs. The offspring have been bigger and heartier than their mothers and have had their father's very mellow temperament. I also haven't had any health issues with them like I had with hatchery rocks, brahma, and EEs.

Well that was weird! It didn't let me type anything just went ahead and posted! Sorry everyone!
I was just going to ask which hatchery this was, I live in bc and have decided to try hatchery birds for the first time for biosecurity reasons.

This is a very interesting topic by the way. I really can't comment on hatcheries as this will be my first time trying one. As you may have guessed; however, I have had bad experiences with a breeder. Partially my own fault for not using a "sacrifice bird" during quarantine. Lesson learned! It did lead me to start asking breeders about their biosecurity practises and was very disappointed. Not at all saying I have a problem with breeders. We just don't have anything like NPIP certification in Canada and I can't find a breeder who occasionally tests their birds so I'm going to try hatchery stock.
And there is a fairly good reason for not having NPIP in my view. Their is a breeder in BC that tests his flocks but I think he is a bit nuts! I will shoot you a PM with the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom